1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about homework manipulation

1. Oct 26, 2012 #1
    I'm taking mechanics and my professor said that the upcoming test will be very similar to the homework problems assigned. But he said we should know how to work the problems backwards. So in the homework he gives us a and b and we have to solve for c and he's saying that on the test he will change it up so that we have b and c but not a.

What i want to do is change the homework problems myself so I can get used to solving the problems in every way. How would I go about doing this?

To reverse a problem that has 3 knowns and 2 unknowns, would it be safe to say that if i started with the 2 uknowns, then i should be able to solve for the other three?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You do it like he said - change the problem so a different part of it is unknown.
    So if a problem involves variables a, b, and c - with one of them unknown, then rework the situation so a different one is unknown.

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, you can't increase the number of unknowns, or you won't have enough information to solve it! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook