Question about homework manipulation

In summary, the conversation is about preparing for an upcoming test in mechanics. The professor has stated that the test will be similar to the assigned homework problems, but with some variations. To practice for this, the student wants to change the homework problems themselves to get used to solving them in different ways. The best approach is to change the unknown variables in the problem while keeping the number of unknowns the same. This will help the student become familiar with solving problems in various scenarios.
HeartyBowl
I'm taking mechanics and my professor said that the upcoming test will be very similar to the homework problems assigned. But he said we should know how to work the problems backwards. So in the homework he gives us a and b and we have to solve for c and he's saying that on the test he will change it up so that we have b and c but not a.

What i want to do is change the homework problems myself so I can get used to solving the problems in every way. How would I go about doing this?

To reverse a problem that has 3 knowns and 2 unknowns, would it be safe to say that if i started with the 2 uknowns, then i should be able to solve for the other three?

Physics news on Phys.org
You do it like he said - change the problem so a different part of it is unknown.
So if a problem involves variables a, b, and c - with one of them unknown, then rework the situation so a different one is unknown.

yes, you can't increase the number of unknowns, or you won't have enough information to solve it! :smile:

1. How can homework be manipulated?

Homework manipulation refers to altering or changing the content of homework assignments in order to achieve a certain outcome or result. This can include giving easier or more difficult assignments, adjusting grading criteria, or providing hints or answers to students.

2. Is homework manipulation ethical?

The ethics of homework manipulation can be a controversial topic. Some argue that it is not fair to students and can create an unfair advantage for certain individuals. However, others argue that it can be a useful tool for teachers to assess student understanding and adjust their teaching methods accordingly.

3. What are some examples of homework manipulation?

Examples of homework manipulation can include giving different assignments to different students, adjusting grading criteria to favor certain students, or providing answers or hints to specific students to help them achieve a better grade.

4. What are the potential consequences of homework manipulation?

Homework manipulation can have both positive and negative consequences. On one hand, it can help students who may be struggling to understand the material. However, it can also create an unfair advantage for certain students and undermine the purpose of homework as a way to assess student understanding.

5. What measures can be taken to prevent homework manipulation?

To prevent homework manipulation, teachers can create clear and consistent grading criteria, provide the same assignments to all students, and avoid giving hints or answers to specific students. It is also important for teachers to regularly check in with students and provide additional support if they are struggling to understand the material.