Question about infinite sets ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinite sets and their existence. The speaker questions if it is enough for something to have a precise definition to be considered existing. The other person argues that in mathematics, certain things must be accepted as existing in order to advance knowledge. They compare this to the concept of negative numbers and explain how infinity is used as a reasonable approximation in mathematical models. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of sample space and its relation to subspaces in linear algebra.
cragar
Before i say this i think transfinite numbers and infinite sets are really cool.
But could you argue that infinite sets don't exist, I mean you couldn't show me one.
I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
I do believe in infinite sets but I was just wondering if you could argue this. Or justify how they exist.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What does it mean for something to exist? Isn't it enough that we can give a precise definition to something and utilize that definition to advance our knowledge of things that do exist?

Similar logic would have that negative numbers don't exist. After all, you can't show me -2 apples.

We have to accept the "existence" of certain things when we deal with abstract thinking, otherwise we would get nowhere.

ok I see what your saying, that's a good answer.

Well, I personally don't believe that infinite sets exist. But that's not why mathematicians use it. We use infinity because it is easier to work with than with finite things and because it's reasonable approximation.

For example, let's say I want to measure the lengths of some cars. Most likely, we first want to make a mathematical model of the lengths of the cars. That is, we want to introduce a "sample space", this is a space that contains all possible measurements.

For example, 2 meters would be a possible measurements, so 2 is in the sample space. 2.18 meters should be in the sample space, 1.97 should be in the sample space, etc.
But instead of taking all possible measurements, we make it easy on ourselfs and we simple take [itex]\mathbb{R}^+[/itex]as sample space. Of course, we will never measure 9999 meters or [itex]\pi[/itex] meters, but we just include it because it's easy.

Furthermore, we can apply analysis and calculus on [itex]\mathbb{R}^+[/itex]. If we would just take the finite set of measurements, then this was not possible...

thanks for your answer, is a sample space similar to a subspace in linear algebra, I never completely understood the concept of a subspace in linear algebra.

cragar said:
thanks for your answer, is a sample space similar to a subspace in linear algebra, I never completely understood the concept of a subspace in linear algebra.

Hmm, that's not how I meant it. I actually made the word sample space up, but it has nothing to do with subspaces. A subspace in linear algebra is informally just a subset that is a vector space under the usual operations. There's nothing more to it, really...

we just can't have operations that take us out of our subspace?

cragar said:
we just can't have operations that take us out of our subspace?

Indeed! More specifically, given a vector space (V,+,.), then a subspace is a non-empty set U such that + and . does not take vectors out of U.
Additionally, this gives us that U itself is a vector space under + and .

thanks for your answer.

1. What is an infinite set?

An infinite set is a set that has an infinite number of elements. This means that the set cannot be counted or exhausted.

2. How do you know if a set is infinite?

A set is infinite if it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with a proper subset of itself. This means that for every element in the set, there is another element in the set that is paired with it.

3. Can you give an example of an infinite set?

One example of an infinite set is the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). This set cannot be counted or exhausted because there is no largest natural number.

4. Are all infinite sets the same size?

No, not all infinite sets are the same size. There are different levels of infinity, known as cardinality, and some infinite sets are bigger than others. For example, the set of real numbers is bigger than the set of natural numbers.

5. Can infinite sets have different types of elements?

Yes, infinite sets can have different types of elements. The elements in a set can be numbers, letters, or any other type of object. As long as the set has an infinite number of elements, it is considered an infinite set.