Understanding Lenz Law: Impact on Current Direction in a Magnetic Field

In summary: But that contradicts the right hand rule? Even if that does sound bad, are you saying the RHR only applies at certain times?No, the right hand rule applies at any time when there is a change in the flux of the external field.
jaredvert
So say you have a square loop of wire which has a current of some positive value going clockwise and it enters a magnetic field going into the board. Now since lenz law states that the induced emf will make a current going counterclockwise (to oppose changing mag flux) then what is the new current value? Does the current just keep getting smaller and smaller and then start to actually go the other way?

Physics news on Phys.org
The induced EMF counteracts the EMF that is driving your current, so yes it will reduce the current. Whether it will force the current to go the other way depends on the specifics (how strong your current driving EMF is, how fast the loop enters the field, how strong the field is, etc.)

Matterwave said:
The induced EMF counteracts the EMF that is driving your current, so yes it will reduce the current. Whether it will force the current to go the other way depends on the specifics (how strong your current driving EMF is, how fast the loop enters the field, how strong the field is, etc.)
Ok well this same situation was presented in my class and it asked what direction the force was when the right side of the square just entered the magnetic field. Since it was going clockwise and the induced emf would not bring the current the other way (I predicted from common sense exactly what you said), then I said the force was to the right (right hand rule). It was a conventional current but he said the answer was to the left! Any explanation? Thanks

By your description, the answer should be that the force on the right side wire of the loop is going to the right.

I don't see why it would be left. Did the professor give you a reason?

Matterwave said:
By your description, the answer should be that the force on the right side wire of the loop is going to the right.

I don't see why it would be left. Did the professor give you a reason?
It's a high school teacher and he didn't specify but I didn't have time to think about it because class was ending

Perhaps the teacher just did the right hand rule wrong. By your description, you are correct in thinking the force on the right side wire is acting to the right.

Matterwave said:
Perhaps the teacher just did the right hand rule wrong. By your description, you are correct in thinking the force on the right side wire is acting to the right.
Yes perhaps. So is an inductor basically the same concept as this situation right here?

An inductor usually has many loops rather than just one (usually a solenoid). But you basically do induce a current from one source to the other via the Faraday's law.

jaredvert said:
Ok well this same situation was presented in my class and it asked what direction the force was when the right side of the square just entered the magnetic field. Since it was going clockwise and the induced emf would not bring the current the other way (I predicted from common sense exactly what you said), then I said the force was to the right (right hand rule). It was a conventional current but he said the answer was to the left! Any explanation? Thanks

You don't need any hand rule.
The flux of the external field through the coil is increasing because the coil enters the field.
It enters the field moving to the right. So moving more to the right will increase the flux. To oppose this a force should act to the left, opposite to the motion of the coil. This is all.
If the force were to the right, the coil will move faster and the flux will have a higher rate of change.

nasu said:
You don't need any hand rule.

The flux of the external field through the coil is increasing because the coil enters the field.

It enters the field moving to the right. So moving more to the right will increase the flux. To oppose this a force should act to the left, opposite to the motion of the coil. This is all.

If the force were to the right, the coil will move faster and the flux will have a higher rate of change.
But that contradicts the right hand rule? Even if that does sound bad, are you saying the RHR only applies at certain times?

Nasu's answer is true if there was no current in the loop to begin with. If you had a current to begin with, the loop would initially accelerate towards the right, but then slow in its acceleration as the counter EMF is produced. The equilibrium condition would then depend on the EMF that is providing the initial current. If, for example, the loop's initial EMF is very strong, then this EMF would effectively be driving the loop towards the right.

1. What is Lenz Law?

Lenz Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that explains the direction of induced current in a conductor placed in a changing magnetic field.

2. How does Lenz Law affect the direction of current?

According to Lenz Law, the direction of the induced current in a conductor will always be in such a way as to oppose the change in the magnetic field that caused it.

3. How does Lenz Law impact electrical devices?

Lenz Law has a significant impact on electrical devices, as it is responsible for the generation of electricity in generators, as well as the operation of motors and transformers.

4. Can Lenz Law be applied to all types of magnetic fields?

Yes, Lenz Law can be applied to all types of magnetic fields, including those produced by permanent magnets, electromagnets, and changing magnetic fields.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Lenz Law?

Yes, Lenz Law has numerous real-world applications, including power generation, electric motors, magnetic levitation, and electromagnetic braking in trains and roller coasters.