1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about linearity

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    I am reading through my Diff Eqs Text and I follow most of the lingo. However I am just a tad confused by the statement:

An nth order ODE is said to be linear if F is linear in y,y',...y^(n)

Then it gives the example:

[tex]a_n(x)\frac{d^ny}{dx^n}+a_{n-1}(x)..+a_0(x)y=g(x)[/tex]

It then says: 'On the left-hand side of the above equation the dependent variable y and all of its derivatives, y,y',y'',...y[itex]^n[/itex] are of the first degree.

Clearly I missed something in Calc. If n=2, I have: [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex]

Why is this linear if n=2?

Thanks,
    Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're confusing the *order* of the derivative with its *degree* in the equation.

y'' + y = 0

is a second-order linear equation. Second-order because the highest order derivative in the equation is a second dervative. Linear because the equation itself is linear in both y'' and y.

In contrast:

(y'')^2 + ay^3 = 0

is a second-order NON-linear D.E. Second-order for the same reason. NON-linear because it is QUADRATIC in y'' and CUBIC in y. I hope this clears things up.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
    I think it does. y' just means "the 1st derivative" and similarly for y" however if either one y' or y" or y for that matter were raised to any power above 1, the DE would no longer be linear.

Thanks!

5. Jan 27, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct. Also note that other "non-linear" functions of the dependent variable, y or its derivatives, such as sin(y) or exp(y"), would make the equation non-linear.

6. Jan 27, 2008 #5
    Great, thanks Halls and cepheid. Hey also, I know that the right-hand side can be equal to 0 or a function of the independent variable; what about a constant?

Like [itex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}-\frac{dy}{dx}+6y=7[/itex] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?