1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question about magnetic flux density B

1. Apr 27, 2016 #1
    Magnetic flux density B is a vector quantity and thus represents a force. However most texts state that the magnetic force is perpendicular to the direction of B, which is tangential to the magnetic field line at any give point. I assume that this magnetic force refers to the Lorentz force. So my question is:

1) What exactly does the direction of force B represent?

2) Would it be correct to state that it is the force B that acts on a test magnet causing it to orient along a magnetic force line?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2016 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

This is not correct. Not everything that is a vector represents a force. The B field in particular is not a force.

4. Apr 27, 2016 #3
    Yes, I guess that was implied in the first part of the question. So what does the direction of B indicate?

5. Apr 27, 2016 #4

Dale

It is the direction perpendicular to both the magnetic force and the current.

6. Apr 28, 2016 #5
    I've already mentioned that in my question! I wish to know what this "direction" of B represents?

7. Apr 28, 2016 #6

Dale

That is all it represents. There is only one such line which is perpendicular to both the force and the current, and the B field direction identifies it. That is all, there is no more or less meaning.

8. Apr 29, 2016 #7

Interesting. So, why come up with the concept of direction of the B field at all?

There must be some reason why a test magnet aligns itself in the direction of the B field....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted