Question about Master's Degree

In summary: However, if you're really interested in condensed matter research, a physics degree may be a better starting place.
wesley7777
I am a electrical engineering major, about to enter my junior year. I really want to go after a master's degree with a focus on Solid State. But I have been getting interested in Condensed Matter. My question is would a Master's degree in Physics really be worth anything? I want to work in industry as an engineer/researcher and not at a university. I am just worried that getting a Master's in Physics would not be as useful as a Master's in EE. What is your opinion on this?
Thanks so much
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, an engineering MS is 'worth more' than a physics MS to industry. 'Worth more' may be a bad choice of words- 'more recognizable' is closer.

Andy Resnick said:
IMO, an engineering MS is 'worth more' than a physics MS to industry. 'Worth more' may be a bad choice of words- 'more recognizable' is closer.

That is kind of what i thought. I was thinking I might do Applied Physics in either solid state or nanotechnology and i think i am drawn more to the physics side than the engineering side. Anyone else have a opinion?

I wouldn't think a MS in applied physics will get you that far either. If you really want to work in condensed matter I suggest you go for a PhD.

I know a couple of students in my department who failed the PhD qualifier and had to settle for MS degrees in condensed matter. One is about to graduate, and has no job offers yet. The other graduated almost a year ago...as far as I heard he still has no offers. I guess you may be better off with the EE MS.

Note: At some institutions you can do work in condensed matter through an EE program. I knew some EE students who worked in an NSF materials research center at their institution.

My tips:
1) Find a university that has some EE faculty that do materials work.
2) Make sure the program offered requires a thesis masters so you actually do some of this work in the process of getting your degree.
3) Of course to get into any real research at all, you'd have to go the Ph.D. route.

I do concur with other posters in this thread... an EE master's would be more recognizable to employers than a physics masters.

What is a Master's degree?

A Master's degree is a postgraduate academic degree that is typically pursued after completing a Bachelor's degree. It is a higher level of education that allows students to specialize in a specific field of study and gain advanced knowledge and skills.

How long does it take to complete a Master's degree?

The length of time it takes to complete a Master's degree varies depending on the program and the student's pace. Typically, it takes 1-2 years of full-time study to complete a Master's degree, but part-time options are also available.

What are the benefits of getting a Master's degree?

Earning a Master's degree can lead to various benefits, including career advancement, higher salary potential, specialized knowledge and skills, and increased job opportunities. It also demonstrates a higher level of dedication and commitment to your field of study.

What is the difference between a Master's degree and a Doctoral degree?

A Master's degree is a postgraduate degree that typically requires 1-2 years of study and focuses on a specific field of study. A Doctoral degree, on the other hand, is a more advanced degree that requires 3-7 years of study and involves original research and a dissertation. A Doctoral degree is also necessary for certain career paths, such as academia or research.

Can I get a Master's degree in a different field than my Bachelor's degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's degree in a different field than your Bachelor's degree. However, some programs may require prerequisite courses or relevant experience in the desired field of study. It's essential to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in.