Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question About Math Forums

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    Oftentimes in the math forums, I see people posting equations that can't be written with a standard keyboard (including the integral sign, etc.). How do they write these? Are they just pictures (made on MS Paint and inserted into the post) or is there some sort of shortcut key for making these symbols in the forums?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3
    Hmm... so if I made a LaTeX image in a post, and then preview the post, will it show the image?

5. Jan 29, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sadly, no. The Latex doesn't display in preview mode. But when you submit the post it will appear.

6. Jan 29, 2007 #5
    Mainly you post something in latex, then spend the next five minutes trying to work out why [tex] \int \sqrt \frac (pi r^2/x^2)[/tex] doesn't appear as [tex]\int \sqrt \frac \pi {r^2}{x^2}[/tex]

you can click on any latex to show the source code.

If you already know latex it's easy enough, and even if you don't it's really easy too learn. I pretty much picked it up overnight it's that simple.

When you edit latex, it's often wise to refresh after you've submitted, otherwise the changes don't normally show up.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?