Question About Math Forums

• Thread starter Izzhov
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Oftentimes in the math forums, I see people posting equations that can't be written with a standard keyboard (including the integral sign, etc.). How do they write these? Are they just pictures (made on MS Paint and inserted into the post) or is there some sort of shortcut key for making these symbols in the forums?

Answers and Replies

Hmm... so if I made a LaTeX image in a post, and then preview the post, will it show the image?

Doc Al
Mentor
Sadly, no. The Latex doesn't display in preview mode. But when you submit the post it will appear.

Hmm... so if I made a LaTeX image in a post, and then preview the post, will it show the image?
Mainly you post something in latex, then spend the next five minutes trying to work out why [tex] \int \sqrt \frac (pi r^2/x^2)[/tex] doesn't appear as [tex]\int \sqrt \frac \pi {r^2}{x^2}[/tex]

you can click on any latex to show the source code.

If you already know latex it's easy enough, and even if you don't it's really easy too learn. I pretty much picked it up overnight it's that simple.

When you edit latex, it's often wise to refresh after you've submitted, otherwise the changes don't normally show up.

Last edited: