Which Direction Does the Milky Way Span Across the Sky?

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Milky way
In summary, the Milky Way spans across the sky in a diagonal direction from the southeast to the northwest. This is due to the tilt of our galaxy's disc in relation to our position on Earth. This diagonal span can be seen in the night sky as a band of light, with the bright center of the Milky Way located in the constellation Sagittarius. Observers in the northern hemisphere may see the Milky Way appear to curve around the pole star, while those in the southern hemisphere may see it stretch across the sky from east to west. Overall, the Milky Way's direction across the sky is determined by the rotation and tilt of our galaxy.
nukeman
The Milky Way crosses through the constellations Cygnus, Cassiopeia, Perseus and Sagittarius, so what direction does the Milky Way appear to cut across the sky?

What is the Milky Way? (Hoping to hear something other than the standard definition)

Why does it appear thicker near Sagittarius?

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

-Adam

Astronomy news on Phys.org
nukeman said:
The Milky Way crosses through the constellations Cygnus, Cassiopeia, Perseus and Sagittarius, so what direction does the Milky Way appear to cut across the sky?

What is the Milky Way? (Hoping to hear something other than the standard definition)

Why does it appear thicker near Sagittarius?

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

-Adam

You do realize we cannot provide answers to homework questions. I am sure you have some ideas about them. What are your thoughts?

DaveC426913 said:
You do realize we cannot provide answers to homework questions. I am sure you have some ideas about them. What are your thoughts?

Yes I know, I was hoping to get a different perspective on these, because I have to really elaborate on them.

I know from Sagittarius, the Milky Way appears to pass westward.

Basic answer is the Milky way is our galaxy.

I think because its thicker towards Sagittarius is because its closer to the middle of the milky way.

?

nukeman said:
Yes I know, I was hoping to get a different perspective on these, because I have to really elaborate on them.

I know from Sagittarius, the Milky Way appears to pass westward.
That's a little vague. You'll probably want to describe it from where to where and perhaps from what location on Earth.

nukeman said:
Basic answer is the Milky way is our galaxy.
There are two meaning really.
1] Yes. It is what we have named our galaxy.
2] It is also the name of the band of brightness that passes across our sky (i.e. before we knew it was a galaxy)

nukeman said:
I think because its thicker towards Sagittarius is because its closer to the middle of the milky way.
?
Indeed, the galactic core is in the direction of Sag.

Wiki has some excellent information on all of this.

DaveC426913 said:
That's a little vague. You'll probably want to describe it from where to where and perhaps from what location on Earth..

How would I do that? Would I have to took at a local sky chart?

Thanks for the replies BTW!

nukeman said:
How would I do that? Would I have to took at a local sky chart?

Thanks for the replies BTW!

That would be good, yep.

1. What is the Milky Way?

The Milky Way is a barred spiral galaxy that contains our solar system. It is estimated to be about 13.51 billion years old and has a diameter of approximately 100,000 light years.

2. How many stars are in the Milky Way?

There are approximately 100-400 billion stars in the Milky Way. However, this number may change as new stars are constantly being formed and some may also be dying.

3. How was the Milky Way formed?

The Milky Way was formed through the gravitational collapse of a giant molecular cloud. As the cloud collapsed, it began to spin and flatten into a disk shape, with the densest part becoming the center of the galaxy.

4. Is there life in the Milky Way?

While there is currently no evidence of extraterrestrial life in the Milky Way, scientists believe that it is possible there may be other forms of life on planets within the galaxy. However, further research and exploration is needed to confirm this.

5. How do we study the Milky Way?

We study the Milky Way through various methods, including observations with telescopes and other instruments, computer simulations, and analyzing data from space missions. Scientists also use the laws of physics and mathematics to understand the structure and behavior of the galaxy.