Question about neuroscience and psychology

In summary: The hypothalamus is apparently only one part of the limbic system and is not specifically involved in evaluating emotional stimuli.
bulbousgland
<Mentor: moved to Biology>>
Summary:: Hi, this is just a random neurological/psychology question that I had. Does anyone know if the hypothalamus plays a role in evaluating emotional stimuli? Or does the cerebral cortex play this role? I am not sure which one is correct, but only one of these is apparently the correct choice.

Hi, this is just a random neurological/psychology question that I had. Does anyone know if the hypothalamus plays a role in evaluating emotional stimuli? Or does the cerebral cortex play this role? I am not sure which one is correct, but apparently only one of these is the correct choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
What research have you done so far? What have you found out?

The hypothalamus is involved in emotional response and threat-detection, but I am not sure what the cerebral cortex would play in this role.

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
bulbousgland said:
I am not sure which one is correct, but apparently only one of these is the correct choice.
Sounds like a schoolwork question, so I'll move the thread to the schoolwork forums for you.

Can you post links to the reading you've been doing on this question? That will help us a lot in guiding you toward the right answer(s). Thanks.

Likes bulbousgland
Is this really a 2 alternatives choose only one question?

What is the full question, and where is it from?

If pressed, I'd guess cortex, because of the "evaluating" in the question.

Likes bulbousgland and berkeman
Well there are four possible answer choices, but only these 2 sounded plausible. The full answer choices are:
  • basal ganglia
  • hypothalamus
  • cerebral cortex
  • immune system
The full question is just "What structure plays a role in evaluating emotional stimuli"

It is not a single part of the brain. The answer is longer than we usually like to quote here so:
https://science.howstuffworks.com/l...ways-your-brain-influences-your-emotions3.htm.

Emotional stimuli are responses to levels of various neurotransmitters and are often manifest physically as hormone excretion, example: adrenaline.

The discussion cites external sources, so it is at least verifiable. And notice that the brain creates physical responses, generally not the other way around.

Example: Completely darkened classroom, after a minute play a ~30 second tape of lions and hyenas fighting over a carcass. In the dark. A colleague of mine thought it was instructive to use this to demonstrate the concept. Some students had problems to say the least. We asked her to stop doing it. She did. She contended that the fear generated had a hard-wired component since most of the students had never heard those sounds before.

Well, for the sake of this question, there is a single answer choice that would be preferred or considered the most appropriate answer. The other 3 are incorrect for the sake of this question.

Limbic system? Try the hypothalamus, it processes memory and is sort of a coordinating center.

If this is a school question it appears to me to be less than clear. Sorry. It does not seem like a random question, either.

Likes bulbousgland
It has to be the hypothalamus since it is the only member of the limbic system in your strange list.

Likes bulbousgland
I think if the question is about evaluation of an emotional stimulus/response I'd go for the cortex. There are lots of areas potentially involved in processing emotion but evaluation implies complex processing.
Its the sort of question that takes us back to phrenology and the localisation of functions.

Likes jim mcnamara and bulbousgland
Yes, I think cortex is correct as well. I did more research online, and found research studies that cite cerebral activity but no mention of hypothalamic activation.

1. What is the difference between neuroscience and psychology?

Neuroscience is a branch of science that focuses on the study of the nervous system, including the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. Psychology, on the other hand, is the scientific study of behavior and mental processes. While neuroscience focuses on the biological aspects of behavior, psychology looks at the cognitive, emotional, and social factors that influence behavior.

2. How do neuroscience and psychology work together?

Neuroscience and psychology work together to provide a more comprehensive understanding of human behavior. While neuroscience provides a biological basis for behavior, psychology helps to explain the cognitive, emotional, and social influences on behavior. Together, these fields can provide a more complete understanding of human behavior and mental processes.

3. What are some common research methods used in neuroscience and psychology?

Some common research methods used in neuroscience include brain imaging techniques such as fMRI, EEG, and PET scans, as well as animal studies and genetic studies. In psychology, common research methods include experiments, surveys, and observational studies. Both fields also use statistical analysis to analyze and interpret data.

4. What are some current advancements in neuroscience and psychology?

Some current advancements in neuroscience include the development of new brain imaging techniques, such as optogenetics, which allows for precise manipulation of brain cells. In psychology, advancements include the use of virtual reality and artificial intelligence in research and therapy. Both fields are also making progress in understanding the brain's plasticity and its ability to change and adapt.

5. How do neuroscience and psychology impact our daily lives?

Neuroscience and psychology have a significant impact on our daily lives. The findings from these fields can help us better understand and improve our mental and physical health, as well as our relationships and behaviors. They also have practical applications, such as in education, marketing, and criminal justice, to name a few.