• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Question about Physics Teachers/Professors

Main Question or Discussion Point

I love Physics and I am planning on majoring in Physics and obtaining my PHD. But just in case I don't manage to obtain my PHD I was considering teaching at the High School level someday. But I don't know anything about how I would go about teaching at the high school level. I don't know the certification process and all that other stuff that is involved. Can someone explain how someone goes about getting certified to teach, in Physics of course. Thanks

Answers and Replies

Physics_UG
Gold Member
the process varies from state to state.

jtbell
Mentor
The details depend on which country you're in, and if it's the USA, on which state you're in. If you're still in high school, ask your physics teacher how he/she got certified. If you're in the USA, try a Google search on something like "secondary education certification statename".

Last edited:
The details depend on which country you're in, and if it's the USA, on which state you're in. If you're still in high school, ask your physics teacher how he/she got certified. If you're in the USA, try a Google search on something like "secondary education certification statename".
Sorry for the wrong use of wording. I know there are different requirements for each state, but what I meant to say was, is there any type of classes that you have to take while at college, like minoring in education or something like that.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
what I meant to say was, is there any type of classes that you have to take while at college, like minoring in education or something like that.
And this depends on your state (in the US) or country.