1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Physics Teachers/Professors

  1. Mar 15, 2014 #1
    I love Physics and I am planning on majoring in Physics and obtaining my PHD. But just in case I don't manage to obtain my PHD I was considering teaching at the High School level someday. But I don't know anything about how I would go about teaching at the high school level. I don't know the certification process and all that other stuff that is involved. Can someone explain how someone goes about getting certified to teach, in Physics of course. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2014 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    the process varies from state to state.
  4. Mar 15, 2014 #3


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    The details depend on which country you're in, and if it's the USA, on which state you're in. If you're still in high school, ask your physics teacher how he/she got certified. If you're in the USA, try a Google search on something like "secondary education certification statename".
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  5. Mar 15, 2014 #4
    Sorry for the wrong use of wording. I know there are different requirements for each state, but what I meant to say was, is there any type of classes that you have to take while at college, like minoring in education or something like that.
  6. Mar 15, 2014 #5

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    And this depends on your state (in the US) or country.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook