1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Physics Teachers/Professors

1. Mar 15, 2014 #1
    I love Physics and I am planning on majoring in Physics and obtaining my PHD. But just in case I don't manage to obtain my PHD I was considering teaching at the High School level someday. But I don't know anything about how I would go about teaching at the high school level. I don't know the certification process and all that other stuff that is involved. Can someone explain how someone goes about getting certified to teach, in Physics of course. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2014 #2

Physics_UG

Gold Member

the process varies from state to state.

4. Mar 15, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The details depend on which country you're in, and if it's the USA, on which state you're in. If you're still in high school, ask your physics teacher how he/she got certified. If you're in the USA, try a Google search on something like "secondary education certification statename".

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  5. Mar 15, 2014 #4
    Sorry for the wrong use of wording. I know there are different requirements for each state, but what I meant to say was, is there any type of classes that you have to take while at college, like minoring in education or something like that.

6. Mar 15, 2014 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And this depends on your state (in the US) or country.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook