Question about Physics Teachers/Professors

• Thread starter dcasarrubias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining certification to teach Physics at a high school level. It is mentioned that the process varies from state to state and may involve different requirements such as taking education classes in college. It is suggested to ask a current physics teacher or conduct a Google search for specific state requirements.
dcasarrubias
I love Physics and I am planning on majoring in Physics and obtaining my PHD. But just in case I don't manage to obtain my PHD I was considering teaching at the High School level someday. But I don't know anything about how I would go about teaching at the high school level. I don't know the certification process and all that other stuff that is involved. Can someone explain how someone goes about getting certified to teach, in Physics of course. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
the process varies from state to state.

The details depend on which country you're in, and if it's the USA, on which state you're in. If you're still in high school, ask your physics teacher how he/she got certified. If you're in the USA, try a Google search on something like "secondary education certification statename".

Last edited:
jtbell said:
The details depend on which country you're in, and if it's the USA, on which state you're in. If you're still in high school, ask your physics teacher how he/she got certified. If you're in the USA, try a Google search on something like "secondary education certification statename".

Sorry for the wrong use of wording. I know there are different requirements for each state, but what I meant to say was, is there any type of classes that you have to take while at college, like minoring in education or something like that.

dcasarrubias said:
what I meant to say was, is there any type of classes that you have to take while at college, like minoring in education or something like that.

And this depends on your state (in the US) or country.

FAQ: Question about Physics Teachers/Professors

1. How do I find a good physics teacher/professor?

The best way to find a good physics teacher or professor is to ask for recommendations from other students or professionals in the field. You can also research the credentials and qualifications of potential teachers, as well as their teaching styles and methods.

2. What qualities should I look for in a physics teacher/professor?

A good physics teacher or professor should have strong knowledge and understanding of the subject matter, as well as effective communication and teaching skills. They should also be patient, approachable, and willing to assist students outside of class.

3. How can I prepare for a physics class with a challenging teacher/professor?

To prepare for a challenging physics teacher or professor, it is important to review and study the material before each class, ask questions and seek clarification when needed, and actively participate in class discussions and activities. You can also seek additional resources or tutoring if necessary.

4. What is the difference between a physics teacher and a physics professor?

A physics teacher typically teaches at the high school or secondary education level, while a physics professor teaches at the college or university level. Professors often have more advanced degrees and conduct research in addition to teaching.

5. How can I improve my understanding and grades in physics with the help of a teacher/professor?

To improve your understanding and grades in physics, it is important to attend class regularly, actively participate, and seek help from your teacher or professor when needed. You can also form study groups with other students and utilize additional resources such as textbooks and online tutorials.