1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Power & Lightbulbs (really embarassed dont laugh)

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1
    Ok this question is pretty rudimentary but i only have one try so im not sure.

When is more power delivered to a lightbulb, just after it is turned on and the glow of the filament is increasing or after it has been on for a few seconds and the glow is steady?
    a.) When the glow of the filament is increasing.
    b.) When the glow of the filament is steady.

Ok the formular for power is P = IV. and I = Q/T

the longer the time interval, the smaller the current, and consequently the lower the power so im thinking the answer is a.) when the glow of the filament is increasing.

Is this logic totally wrong? thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2006 #2
    Mostly wrong if I=Q/T got you to that smaller current argument.
    Instead interpret that to say – To maintain a current I over double a time interval of T will require the moving of twice as many charge units Q.
    This has little to do with figuring your power.

On the power issue – deciding what is happening to the resistance of the filament as its temperature changes should do.

4. Feb 15, 2006 #3
    so there is resistance to current in the fillament causing heat to be produced known as glowing. im still not sure how this equates to more or less power being delivered.

5. Feb 15, 2006 #4
    ??
    Ok you’re just getting started.
    Normal power sources V is constant.
    P=IV is right – but what is I?
    I=V/R
    So P=V (V/R)
    Go over that Basic Electricity book or google for some instruction.

To learn how the constant V you’re being supplied, doesn’t always stay constant, read up “Impedance” (internal resistance) of the battery or supply.

Have fun reading.

6. Feb 15, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For metals, resitivity generally increases with temperature. As the filament gets hot, its power consumption falls.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?