Question about quantum entanglement

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum entanglement and whether particles are initially entangled or if entanglement is a result of interactions. It is explained that particles become entangled when they share the same quantum state and that a gate called CNOT is used in quantum information theory to entangle qubits, even if they were not initially created in an entangled state.
smithnya
Hello everyone,

I have a basic understanding of quantum entanglement. One thing I don't understand is the following: For particles to be entangled, is it necessary to produce the entanglement via whichever means, or are all particles entangled to another particle to begin with? By the latter, I mean, were all particles, at the moment of creation, entangled to a second particle, or there is no initial entanglement, and it is something we must produce.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think particles just become entangled when they both share the same quantum state. They don't have to be entangled prior to that.

I would say if you have two particles (say photons) that interact (say via atoms) and after the interactions if we cannot write the quantum state of the 2 photons as product state, we have entanglement.

In quantum information theory, a gate called CNOT is used to entangle two qubits. They need not be created in an entangled state.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected and share a certain state, even when separated by large distances. This means that measuring the state of one particle will affect the state of the other particle, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two or more particles interact with each other, such as through a collision or interaction with a common source. This interaction causes the particles to become entangled and share a certain state, known as their quantum state.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It can also be used to improve the sensitivity and accuracy of measurement devices, such as atomic clocks and sensors.

4. Does quantum entanglement violate the laws of physics?

No, quantum entanglement does not violate the laws of physics. It is a natural phenomenon that can be explained by quantum mechanics, a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles on a subatomic level.

5. Can quantum entanglement be used for instant communication?

No, quantum entanglement cannot be used for instant communication. While changes in the state of one particle may affect the state of the other particle, this effect cannot be used to transmit information faster than the speed of light, as it is still subject to the laws of relativity.