Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about quantum entanglement

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have a basic understanding of quantum entanglement. One thing I don't understand is the following: For particles to be entangled, is it necessary to produce the entanglement via whichever means, or are all particles entangled to another particle to begin with? By the latter, I mean, were all particles, at the moment of creation, entangled to a second particle, or there is no initial entanglement, and it is something we must produce.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2
    I think particles just become entangled when they both share the same quantum state. They don't have to be entangled prior to that.

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    I would say if you have two particles (say photons) that interact (say via atoms) and after the interactions if we cannot write the quantum state of the 2 photons as product state, we have entanglement.

In quantum information theory, a gate called CNOT is used to entangle two qubits. They need not be created in an entangled state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook