1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about reducible presentation

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1.hi, everyone. here's the question :BF3 is a planar four-atomic molecule. For simplicity, we ignore the degrees of
    freedom in the z-axis (principal axis).
    a) Find the reducible representation for a base consisting of the 8 unit vectors with origin
    at each atom, being parallel to the x and y directions.
    b) Decompose it into a sum of irreducible representations. How many vibrational modes
    in the xy-plane exist? i know how to get the irreducible linear representation from the reducible representation, but i hardly gain any idea about how to determine the reducible representation which help me for the later calculation to the irreducible representation.

i guess wether the reducible representation is a 8*8 matrix corresponding to the each (x.y) coordinates for the four atoms. then there should have 6 such matrix since BF3 symmetry is D3h. But i don't know then how to gain the irreducible representation from such matrix

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2
    where's your attempt at solution?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook