Question about relative speeds.

• Thread starter port31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, when a moving object with speed v_1 and mass m_1 collides with a stationary object with mass m_2 and they stick together, the final speed v_2 can be calculated using momentum conservation as m_1 v_1 = (m_1 + m_2)(v_2). However, if the collision is analyzed from the rest frame of m_1, the final speeds would be different due to using a different reference frame. To ensure there is no conflict, the before and after speeds of each object should be compared, with the difference being the same in both frames. By transforming the answer back to the original frame, the final speeds will match.
port31
Lets say I have a moving object that has speed [itex] v_1 [/itex]
and mass [itex] m_1 [/itex] and it collides with a more massive object of
mass [itex] m_2 [/itex] And this mass is at rest and when they collide they stick together.
If I use momentum conservation I would get
[itex] m_1 v_1=(m_1+m_2)(v_2)[/itex] and [itex] v_2 [/itex] is the speed after the collision
but what if I wanted to analyze this from the rest frame of [itex] m_1 [/itex]
It would look as if the more massive object was moving at me at a speed [itex] v_1 [/itex]
So now I would have [itex] m_2(-v_1)=(m_1+m_2)(v_2) [/itex] the final speeds would be different in those 2 cases so what's wrong with my reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
The final speeds would indeed be different because you are using a different reference frame. To check to make sure there is no conflict, compare the before and after speeds of each object. The difference should be the same regardless of which frame you choose.

port31 said:
So now I would have [itex] m_2(-v_1)=(m_1+m_2)(v_2) [/itex] the final speeds would be different in those 2 cases so what's wrong with my reasoning.
If you now transform your answer to the original frame (by adding [itex]v_1[/itex]) you'll find that the speeds match.

Related to Question about relative speeds.

1. What is relative speed?

Relative speed is the speed of an object or observer in relation to another object or observer. It takes into account not only the speed of the object itself, but also the speed and direction of the observer.

2. How is relative speed calculated?

Relative speed can be calculated by finding the difference between the speeds of the two objects or observers. If they are moving in the same direction, the relative speed will be the difference between the two speeds. If they are moving in opposite directions, the relative speed will be the sum of the two speeds.

3. What is the difference between relative speed and absolute speed?

Relative speed takes into account the motion of one object or observer in relation to another, while absolute speed only considers the motion of the object itself. Absolute speed is always measured with respect to a fixed point, while relative speed is measured between two moving points.

4. Can relative speed be negative?

Yes, relative speed can be negative if the two objects or observers are moving in opposite directions. This indicates that they are getting closer together, rather than moving apart.

5. How does relative speed affect collisions?

Relative speed plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of collisions between two objects. The greater the relative speed, the greater the force of impact and the more damage that may occur. Additionally, the direction of relative speed can impact the direction and severity of the collision.