Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Riemann Zeta Function

1. Dec 1, 2014 #1
    I understand how to calculate values of positive values ζ(s), it's pretty straightforward convergence. But when you expand s into the complex plane, like ζ(δ+bi), how do you assign a value with i as an exponent? Take for example
    ζ(1/2 + i)
    This is the sequence
    1/1^(1/2+i) + 1/2^(1/2+i) + 1/3^(1/2+i) .......
    How do you assign a value to this? do you have to use euler's identity to calculate it? Or am I looking at it all wrong?
    P. S. Try to dumb it down for me. I'm in algebra 2 right now....

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2014 #2
    First, Euler's Identity has nothing to do with the Reimann-Zeta function. Euler's Identity is just
    ##e^{i \pi} + 1 = 0##
    Euler's Formula is probably what you're thinking of (which is where the above identity comes from):
    ##e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x##
    But there's no exponential function (it works that way because the exponential function is re-written with a power series to get the above formula), and ##i## would have to be factored out of the exponent entirely to rewrite it that way (it's only in one of the terms).
    But, in the case you're talkng about where ##s## is defined as ##\sigma + bi## for ##0 < \sigma < 1##, then it can be left as is, but the imaginary zeroes are plotted along the "critical line", ##\Re(s) = \frac{1}{2}##

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannZetaFunction.html

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  4. Dec 4, 2014 #3
    I'd say, calculate the first m terms, and the first m+1, m+2... and see what it converges to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook