Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Question about rolling friction

1. Jan 29, 2017 #1
    Ok...Suppose I try to roll a ball to the right...Its surface at the point of contact with the floor would be deformed, which would cause some ''rolling friction'' to the left, which in turn would cause some clockwise torque(rolling motion) in the ball...(please point out if something is wrong in my assumption)....My question is that this ''rolling friction'' is actually contributing to the rolling motion of the body, YET it is observed that rolling body eventually comes to a stop...So how does a rolling body comes to a stop???...Another thing is that , if this rolling friction is actually contributing to motion, how is it ''friction''???

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2017 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Torque is not motion. Resistance is always opposed to motion, and doesn't "cause" it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  4. Jan 29, 2017 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Much easier think of energy dissipation rather than the nuts and bolts of the how friction acts .

If there is friction acting to oppose the motion of an object then there is dissipation of energy as heat .

The moving object has kinetic energy . If energy is being dissipated then that kinetic energy must be reducing with time . Reduction of kinetic energy means reduction of speed . Eventually all kinetic energy is lost and motion ceases .

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted