Question about series convergence/divergence

• Thread starter grog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the author is talking about a problem with sums and how to show a sum is divergent. They explain that it is enough to show the sum exceeds a particular value. They go on to say it is easier to show the sum is at least as big as a simpler sum. They finish by saying if someone has more nickles than me, I can conclude they have more total.
grog
I've always had trouble with sequences and series, and I'm getting ready for upcoming finals now.

There's an example in my calculus text that says:

Show that the harmonic series [tex]\sum[/tex]1/n is divergent.

The solution states: For this particular series it's convenient to consider the partial sums s2,s4,s8,s16,s32,...and show that they become large.

s1=1
s2=1 + (1/2)
s4= 1 + 1/2 + (1/3 + 1/4) > 1+ 1/2 + (1/4 + 1/4) = 1+ 2/2
s8=1 + 1/2 + (1/3 + 1/4) +(1/5 + 1/6 + 1/7 + 1/8) > 1 + 1/2 + (1/4 + 1/4) + (1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8) = 1 +1/2 +1/2 +1/2 = 1+3/2

so the pattern becomes s2n > 1+ n/2
which shows that s2n -> infinity as n -> to infinity and so {sn} is divergent. Therefore the harmonic series diverges.

What I don't understand is why the terms get substituted, for smaller ones (1/3+1/4 becomes 1/4+1/4, etc). If I understood why they were doing that I would understand the rest of it, but there's no explanation in the book, unless it was covered in an earlier section.

Any help understanding would be most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because you want ">". If S= a+ b+ c and I substitute x>a for a, y> b for b, z> c for c, then obviously S< x+ y+ z.

Smaller terms are sustituted for simplicity.
The problem with sums is that it is often hard to evaluate a particular sum.
Our goal hear is to show a sum diverges.
It suffices to show the sum excedes any particular value.
We want to show the sum is big, but it is hard to actually find out how big (log(n)).
It is easier to show it is at least as big as a simpler sum.
If we have two sums the one with larger terms will be larger.
By comparing the sum in question to a smaller easier one we have demostrated the sum is a least a big as the simple one.
Say each of us has 100 numbered bags of nickels, and for any particular number your bag has more nickles than mine. We can concluded that you have more nickles total than I without counting either bag. We can also count the nickles in my bags and we have a lower bound on your nickles. In other words if I can afford to to buy a red wagon with my nickels, your will have at least enough to buy the same wagon (assum it offered at the same price).

thanks! that's exactly what I was looking for!

What is the definition of series convergence and divergence?

In mathematics, a series is a sequence of terms that are added together. The series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a series is said to diverge if the sum of its terms increases without bound as the number of terms increases.

How can I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series is convergent or divergent. These include the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. Each of these tests has its own criteria for convergence or divergence, and it is important to use the appropriate test for the given series.

What is the significance of series convergence and divergence in mathematics?

Series convergence and divergence play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, real analysis, and number theory. They are also important in practical applications, such as in physics and engineering, where they are used to model and solve problems involving infinite sequences and series.

Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. This is because the definition of convergence requires the sum of the terms to approach a finite value, while divergence means the sum of the terms increases without bound. A series cannot exhibit both of these behaviors at the same time.

What are some examples of convergent and divergent series?

Examples of convergent series include the geometric series, where each term is multiplied by a constant factor, and the telescoping series, where most of the terms cancel each other out. Examples of divergent series include the harmonic series, where the terms decrease but never reach zero, and the alternating harmonic series, where the signs of the terms alternate but the series still diverges.