Question about Sigma and Sum Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the sum of elements in a set and the use of sigma notation. The formula sigma(i, i from 1 to n) = n(n+1)/2 is suggested for calculating the sum and it is clarified that the software for LaTex equations is available on the forum. It is determined that the sum of 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 11 + 13 is 49 and it is confirmed that the product can be obtained by multiplying the terms.
Bucs44
Here is the problem I'm at currently. I'm not sure that I'm on the right track or not. Also I'm not sure what numbers I should be plugging into the equation. I think it would be 2 through 6 but...?

The sum of elements in the set {ti | i = 3 } #7 on top of sigma notation

tn = 2n - 1, n greater than or equal to 1

Here is my calculation so far:

i1 + i2 + i3 + i4 + i5 + i6 + i7 = (1-1)+(2-1)+(3-1)+(4-1)+(5-1)+(6-1)+(7-1)

Where do I go next?

Physics news on Phys.org
just use the formula sigma(i, i from 1 to n) = n(n+1)/2.

In this question, there are only 7 terms, so you can also add up by hand.

Tom1992 said:
just use the formula sigma(i, i from 1 to n) = n(n+1)/2.

In this question, there are only 7 terms, so you can also add up by hand.

I don't understand that - why would I be adding if ti = 2n - 1?

I don't really understand your question. Is it calculate [tex]\sum_{n=1}^7t_n[/tex], where tn=2n-1?

If not, please could you quote the exact question as written. (NB, click on the formula to get the code for the LaTex equation)

Yes sorry - I'm not able to write it exactly - don't have math software - but how you have shown it is correct

Bucs44 said:
Yes sorry - I'm not able to write it exactly - don't have math software -

Note that the software is preloaded into the forum, and so anyone can write in LaTex. See here for a tutorial.

but how you have shown it is correct

If my sum above is correct, then you simply sum over n in the range 1 to 7. So, [tex]\sum_{n=1}^7(2n-1)= (2*1-1)+(2*2-1)+ \cdots[/tex] Do you see where I'm going here? Just plug in the remaining values of n, and then simplify the sum (to obtain a number) which will be the answer.

cristo said:
Note that the software is preloaded into the forum, and so anyone can write in LaTex. See here for a tutorial.

If my sum above is correct, then you simply sum over n in the range 1 to 7. So, [tex]\sum_{n=1}^7(2n-1)= (2*1-1)+(2*2-1)+ \cdots[/tex] Do you see where I'm going here? Just plug in the remaining values of n, and then simplify the sum (to obtain a number) which will be the answer.

Okay - so I do that up to 7 and then add them together or subtract?

I'd get 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 11 + 13 = 49

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to obtain the product, I simply multiply those numbers for my total?

Bucs44 said:
Okay - so I do that up to 7 and then add them together or subtract?

I'd get 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 11 + 13 = 49

Thats right, you add the terms.

Bucs44 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to obtain the product, I simply multiply those numbers for my total?

Is this a different question now? Do you want to find [tex]\Pi_{n=1}^7(2n-1)[/tex]? If so, yes, you would multiply the terms.

What is Sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of terms. It uses the Greek letter sigma (Σ) to indicate the sum, with the index of the summation written below and above the sigma symbol. For example, the sum of the first n natural numbers can be written as Σi=1n i = 1+2+3+...+n.

How is Sigma notation different from regular notation?

Sigma notation is a more concise and efficient way of representing a sum compared to regular notation. Instead of writing out each individual term in the series, sigma notation allows us to represent the sum using the sigma symbol and the index of summation. This is particularly useful for representing large sums with many terms.

What is the purpose of using Sigma notation?

The main purpose of using Sigma notation is to simplify and condense the representation of a sum. It is also useful for expressing patterns and relationships in a series of terms. Sigma notation is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to represent various sums.

How do you evaluate a sum expressed in Sigma notation?

To evaluate a sum expressed in Sigma notation, you need to substitute the values of the index of summation into the expression and then add up all the terms. For example, to evaluate Σi=1n i, you would substitute the values of i from 1 to n and add them up. For larger sums, it may be helpful to use a calculator or a computer program.

What is the difference between Sigma notation and Pi notation?

Sigma and Pi notation are both mathematical notations used to represent the sum and product of a series of terms, respectively. The main difference between the two is that Sigma notation uses summation while Pi notation uses multiplication. In Sigma notation, the index of summation increases by 1 with each term, while in Pi notation, the index of multiplication increases by 1 with each term.