1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about significant figures.

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1
    This isn't really a homework question. It's a question about a book I'm reading out of curiosity, but this seemed to be the most appropriate place to put it.

Also, it's not exactly a physics problem, but I did come across this issue while reading a physics related book.

I apologize if this is the wrong section to post this question.

But my question is: How do you keep track of significant figures for functions in general? For example, how would I know how many significant figures to keep in Sin(3.52)? Would I automatically keep three significant figures as with multiplication? Or is there a different rule for this? How would I do this for functions in general that are not directly addition/subtraction or multiplication/division?

I just realized that none of my physics or math books explains this. I also realized that all these years, I've been taking trig functions and other types of functions for granted when calculating significant figures.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2
    Well if you can expand a trig function to it's series representation.

for sin x you have:
    [tex]\sin x = \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{n-1} \frac{x^{2n-1}}{(2n-1)!}[/tex]

the first few terms for sin 3.52:

n=1,2,3

[tex]3.52-\frac{(3.52)^3}{3!}+\frac{(3.52)^5}{5!}[/tex]

=3.52-(-3.75)+4.50=.754

which is pretty far from the real value (.061396....)

But from the multiplication/additions you will be keeping 3 sig figs, since in the addition there's a large number of digits after the decimal point. But the multiplication (3.52^2=3.52*3.52) limits the number down to 3 sig figs here.

4. Oct 10, 2007 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would treat them as a multiplication - 3s.f. of angle gives 3 s.f. of sin.
    In reality is complicated because it is a function of angle, in regions where the sin is changing quickly (0,180) the uncertainty of the angle has a much bigger effect on the sin than regions near 90,270 deg .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?