Question about significant figures.

In summary, the conversation discusses keeping track of significant figures for functions in general, using the example of Sin(3.52). It is suggested to treat functions as multiplication, so the number of significant figures for the function would be based on the number of significant figures in the input. However, this may be more complicated in reality, as the uncertainty of the input angle can affect the output value in certain regions.
Woozie
This isn't really a homework question. It's a question about a book I'm reading out of curiosity, but this seemed to be the most appropriate place to put it.

Also, it's not exactly a physics problem, but I did come across this issue while reading a physics related book.

I apologize if this is the wrong section to post this question.

But my question is: How do you keep track of significant figures for functions in general? For example, how would I know how many significant figures to keep in Sin(3.52)? Would I automatically keep three significant figures as with multiplication? Or is there a different rule for this? How would I do this for functions in general that are not directly addition/subtraction or multiplication/division?

I just realized that none of my physics or math books explains this. I also realized that all these years, I've been taking trig functions and other types of functions for granted when calculating significant figures.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you can expand a trig function to it's series representation.

for sin x you have:
[tex]\sin x = \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{n-1} \frac{x^{2n-1}}{(2n-1)!}[/tex]

the first few terms for sin 3.52:

n=1,2,3

[tex]3.52-\frac{(3.52)^3}{3!}+\frac{(3.52)^5}{5!}[/tex]

=3.52-(-3.75)+4.50=.754

which is pretty far from the real value (.061396...)

But from the multiplication/additions you will be keeping 3 sig figs, since in the addition there's a large number of digits after the decimal point. But the multiplication (3.52^2=3.52*3.52) limits the number down to 3 sig figs here.

I would treat them as a multiplication - 3s.f. of angle gives 3 s.f. of sin.
In reality is complicated because it is a function of angle, in regions where the sin is changing quickly (0,180) the uncertainty of the angle has a much bigger effect on the sin than regions near 90,270 deg .

1. What is the purpose of using significant figures in scientific measurements?

Significant figures are used to indicate the precision or accuracy of a measurement. They help to convey the level of uncertainty in a measurement and ensure consistency and accuracy in data analysis and reporting.

2. How do you determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The general rule is that all non-zero digits are significant, and any zeros between two significant figures are also significant. Leading zeros (zeros to the left of the first non-zero digit) are not significant, while trailing zeros (zeros to the right of the last non-zero digit) may or may not be significant, depending on the situation.

3. Can significant figures be used in calculations?

Yes, significant figures can be used in calculations, but the result should be rounded to the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the least number of significant figures. This maintains the accuracy and precision of the measurement.

4. How do significant figures relate to scientific notation?

Significant figures are used in scientific notation to represent the precision of a measurement in a concise and standardized format. The number of significant figures in a measurement is represented by the number of digits in the coefficient of the scientific notation.

5. Is it possible to have an infinite number of significant figures in a measurement?

No, it is not possible to have an infinite number of significant figures in a measurement. All measurements have some level of uncertainty, and using an infinite number of significant figures would imply absolute certainty, which is not possible in science.