QM: Spin States of Electrons & Positrons

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin
In summary: So, if I have two electrons in the ground state of a helium atom, then one is spin up and the other is spin down. However, until you measure one electron, it is impossible to say which spin state it is. If I have a neutral pi-meson that decays into an electron and a positron, then when I measure one electron to be spin up, this instantaneously makes the other electron spin down.
cragar
If I have two electrons in the ground state of a helium atom, then one is spin up and the other is spin down . And there is no way of knowing which spin state each electron is until I measure it. So when I measure one electron to be spin up does this instantaneously make the other one spin down? Or if this doesn't work with the helium atom let's use a neutral pi-meson that decays into and electron and positron .
I have studied QM a little bit and any input will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it does.

Once one is measured, the other is known.

To be picky about the wording, I would say that when we measure one electron to be spin up, we know that the other electron must now be spin down. Whether that means we have actually "done" something to the other electron to "make" it spin down, I think there is no generally accepted answer (it depends on interpretations of QM).

ok i see, interesting

In addition I would like to stress the meaning of the two-electron state. |up, down> is not fully correct, it must read |up, down> - |down, up>. What does that mean?

You can't say that the first electron has spin=up and the second electron has spin=down; you can't even "label" the two electrons, they do not exist as separate entities, that's why you have this entangled quantum state. Instead you have to say that one electron has spin=up, the other one has spin=down w/o referring to "this electron" or to "the first electron". Trying to distinguish the two electrons will results in classical statistics which is ruled out for quantum systems experimentally.

ok but if i know the state of one of them then i know he state of the other one

Yes, you are right, but you can only say "one electron has spin=up, the other one has spin=down". One should be careful and try to avoid to say "this electron" or "that electron"; as long as they are inside the Helium atom (and not separated by some experiment) they are not individual electrons (like classical coins).

great answer
i think tom

tom.stoer said:
Yes, you are right, but you can only say "one electron has spin=up, the other one has spin=down". One should be careful and try to avoid to say "this electron" or "that electron"; as long as they are inside the Helium atom (and not separated by some experiment) they are not individual electrons (like classical coins).

I don't believe this is so, since the two electrons have opposite spins they are no longer indistinguishable. One could easily separate the two by applying an external field and exploiting the Zeeman effect to break the degeneracy of the ground state. Thus you would say that there is a distinct and distinguishable electron with spin up and a distinct and distinguishable electron with spin down. The N! gibbs factor should not be applied here and thus the system WOULD obey classical statistics and not quantum ones would it not? Keep in mind that the derivation of distinguishability is firmly linked to the parity of an electron ground-state and thus if they WERE distinguishable they would be Pauli excluded but they are not (since they have different spin) and thus they can't be indistinguishable.

maverick_starstrider said:
I don't believe this is so, since the two electrons have opposite spins they are no longer indistinguishable. One could easily separate the two by applying an external field and exploiting the Zeeman effect to break the degeneracy of the ground state. [...]

Then I'm afraid you don't understand what <indistinguishable> really means. The notion applies to the state of the compound system and to the values of the measurable observables prior_to_measurement.

dextercioby said:
Then I'm afraid you don't understand what <indistinguishable> really means. The notion applies to the state of the compound system and to the values of the measurable observables prior_to_measurement.

So you're saying that a system of two electrons for which one is spin up and the other is spin down behaves as a system of size N=2 obeying Fermi-Dirac statistics and not Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics? I would say, provided there exists no mechanism in our Hamiltonian which allows spins to flip, that this system would obey classical statistics (Maxwell-Boltzmann). There exists no mechanism through which they compete for states.

The electrons are not in a spin state until you measure them.

cragar said:
The electrons are not in a spin state until you measure them.
You can prepare a quantum state, e.g. S=0 which means you have a "spin state" |up, down> - |down, up>; you do not have a definitre spin for one electron, but as a quantum state it's perfectly valid.

1. What is the concept of spin states in quantum mechanics?

Spin states refer to the intrinsic angular momentum of subatomic particles, such as electrons and positrons. In quantum mechanics, these particles can exist in multiple spin states simultaneously, and the measurement of their spin can yield different outcomes.

2. How is the spin of an electron or positron measured?

The spin of an electron or positron can be measured using a device called a Stern-Gerlach apparatus. This device applies a magnetic field to the particle, causing its spin to align in a certain direction. The resulting deflection of the particle's trajectory can then be measured to determine its spin state.

3. What are the possible spin states for an electron or positron?

Electrons and positrons have a spin of 1/2, which means they can exist in two possible spin states: spin up and spin down. These states are often represented by the quantum numbers +1/2 and -1/2, respectively.

4. How do spin states affect the behavior of electrons and positrons?

Spin states play a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of electrons and positrons. For example, the spin of an electron determines its magnetic moment, which is responsible for the electron's interaction with magnetic fields. Spin also plays a role in the formation of chemical bonds and the behavior of electrons in atoms.

5. Can the spin state of an electron or positron be changed?

Yes, the spin state of an electron or positron can be changed through interactions with other particles or through the application of external forces, such as magnetic fields. This is known as spin manipulation and is an important aspect of quantum mechanics research.