What is the Tangent Space for a Given Matrix A?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of tangent vectors for rank 1 2x2 matrices. It was mentioned that for 2x2 matrices, being rank 1 is equivalent to det(A)=0. It was also suggested that tangent vectors can be given by traceless matrices. However, it was pointed out that this is not always the case. Other approaches were proposed, such as using invertible matrices and unitary matrices to describe a path in rank 1 matrices. The conversation also touched on finding a basis for tangent space, with the addition of a third basis element being suggested. Ultimately, the formula \dot{A}=XA+AY was proposed as a way to find the general form of a tangent vector for a
evalover1987

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that, excluding the zero matrix, for 2x2 matrices being rank 1 is equivalent to det(A)=0. That means tangent vectors are given by traceless matrices. That should be enough to solve your problem.

arkajad said:
I think that, excluding the zero matrix, for 2x2 matrices being rank 1 is equivalent to det(A)=0. That means tangent vectors are given by traceless matrices. That should be enough to solve your problem.

tracelessness is clearly not required for det(A) = 0.

1 0
0 0 1 1
1 1

are not traceless.

I'm just trying to figure out what formula to use to find out the tangent space at the matrix A.
Does it mean that if B is in tangent space at matrix A, then
BA = 0 ?
or does it mean something else?

I was talking about tangent vectors - they should be traceless. See "http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/notes/diffdet/diffdet-600dpi.ps" ".

Last edited by a moderator:
arkajad said:
I was talking about tangent vectors - they should be traceless. See "http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/notes/diffdet/diffdet-600dpi.ps" ".

sorry I misunderstood you.
unfortunately, i cannot open ps file.
(unless it's converted to pdf)
i guess i'll look for some other references.

arkajad said:

actually, in addition to traceless matrices, shouldn't the original matrix

0 0
1 1

be included in the basis for tangent space?

Another possible approach: A is of rank 1 if and only if there are invertible U,V such that

[tex]A=U\begin{pmatrix}1&0\\0&0\end{pmatrix}V[/tex]

Therefore a path in rank 1 matrices can be described as

[tex]A(t)=U(t)\begin{pmatrix}1&0\\0&0\end{pmatrix}V(t)[/tex]

Differentiating:

[tex]\dot{A}=\dot{U}U^{-1}A+AV^{-1}\dot{V}.[/tex]

This gives you the general form of a tangent vector at A.

P.S. This is not very useful though ...

Last edited:
thanks for help, and I again apologize for my rudeness in the previous post

arkajad said:
Another possible approach: A is of rank 1 if and only if there are unitary U,V such that

[tex]A=U\begin{pmatrix}1&0\\0&0\end{pmatrix}V[/tex]

Therefore a path in rank 1 matrices can be described as

[tex]A(t)=U(t)\begin{pmatrix}1&0\\0&0\end{pmatrix}V(t)[/tex]

Differentiating:

[tex]\dot{A}=\dot{U}U^{-1}A+AV^{-1}\dot{V}.[/tex]

Both [tex]\dot{U}U^{-1}[/tex] and [tex]V^{-1}\dot{V}[/tex]

are anti-hermitian. This gives you the general form of a tangent vector at A.

evalover1987 said:
thanks for help, and I again apologize for my rudeness in the previous post

I was not very helpful. I tried to be, but I was too fast, and what I wrote is not yet a solution. But I think the solution is pretty close.

arkajad said:
I was not very helpful. I tried to be, but I was too fast, and what I wrote is not yet a solution. But I think the solution is pretty close.

yeah... while I believe that

0 1
0 0

0 0
1 0

two traceless matrices should be basis elements of tangent space,
since 2 by 2 matrices having rank 1 can be thought of as 3-dimensional submanifold,
the tangent space must also have 3 basis elements.

so I was wondering maybe the

0 0
1 1

must be the missing basis element in this case

Take [tex]L=\begin{pmatrix}0&1\\-1&0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]. Exponentiate it to get S(t)=exp(L(t)).
Calculate

[tex] S(t)\begin{pmatrix}0&0\\1&1\end{pmatrix}S(-t)[/tex]

I think this gives you the needed path and the tangent vector L.

Last edited:
actually, I thnk I got it.
thanks for the help, thou :)

arkajad said:
Take [tex]\begin{pmatrix}1&0\\0&-1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]. Exponentiate it to get:
[tex]S(t)=\begin{pmatrix}e^t&0\\0&e^{-t}\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Calculate

[tex] S(t)\begin{pmatrix}0&0\\1&1\end{pmatrix}S(-t)=\begin{pmatrix}0&0\\e^{-2t}&1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

P.S. Still confused ...

I have made several corrections in my example, but the last version may even work.

arkajad said:
I have made several corrections in my example, but the last version may even work.

actually, i used a slightly different method to solve it, treating it as finding a null-space to
solution of a determinant function at the point (0, 0, 1, 1).

Do you mind taking a look at the new problem I posted?
I'm really struggling with that..

You mean your immersion problem? I looked again in Sternberg trying to recall to myself this stuff, but I never really studied the proofs in this particular section, so I am giving up here.

The formula [tex]\dot{A}=XA+AY[/tex] when applied to your A=(0,0;1,1) gives a general form of the tangent vector: (a,a;c,d). This way you have your 3 dimensions.

The other stuff I first proposed, with trace, is good for det = 1 but not for det=0.

What is a tangent space?

A tangent space is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the local behavior of curves and surfaces. It is a vector space that approximates the behavior of a curve or surface at a specific point.

How is a tangent space defined?

A tangent space is defined as the set of all possible tangent vectors at a given point on a curve or surface. These tangent vectors represent the direction and rate of change of the curve or surface at that point.

Why is the tangent space important?

The tangent space is important because it allows us to study the local behavior of a curve or surface. By understanding the tangent space, we can make predictions about the behavior of the curve or surface in the surrounding area.

What is the relationship between the tangent space and the normal space?

The tangent space and the normal space are complementary concepts. The tangent space represents the direction of a curve or surface, while the normal space represents the direction perpendicular to the tangent space. Together, they provide a complete description of the local behavior of a curve or surface.

How is the tangent space used in practical applications?

The tangent space has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze the behavior of objects in motion, such as particles, fluids, and deformable structures. It is also used in computer graphics to generate realistic and smooth animations of 3D objects.