Question about the Galois correspondence

• I
  • Thread starter thaiqi
  • Start date
In summary, the Galois group of ##x^4-2## over ##\mathbb{Q}## has eight intermediate subgroups, which correspond to eight intermediate fields. These subgroups and fields can be obtained by using the Galois correspondence theorem or by directly checking which elements of the splitting field are fixed by the given subgroups. The subgroups ##N_4## and ##H_4## are generated by ##\eta^2## and ##\xi\eta^3##, respectively, and fix the elements ##i## and ##\sqrt{2}##, which leads to the corresponding intermediate fields.
thaiqi
TL;DR Summary
question on Galois correspondence
Question: Galois group of ##x^4 - 2 ## over Q.The correspondence is:
$$
\begin{aligned}
(N_1) \leftarrow \rightarrow Q(\sqrt{2})
\end{aligned}
$$
$$
\begin{aligned}
(N_2) \leftarrow \rightarrow Q(i)
\end{aligned}
$$
$$
\begin{aligned}
(N_3) \leftarrow \rightarrow Q(i\sqrt{2})
\end{aligned}
$$
$$
\begin{aligned}
(N_4) \leftarrow \rightarrow Q(\sqrt{2}, i)
\end{aligned}
$$
$$
\begin{aligned}
(H_3) \leftarrow \rightarrow Q(\sqrt[4]{2} (1+i))
\end{aligned}
$$
$$
\begin{aligned}
(H_4) \leftarrow \rightarrow Q(\sqrt[4]{2} (1-i))
\end{aligned}
$$My question is : How are these intermediate subfields (on the right side of the arrows) obtained?(The eight subgroups are:)
$$
\begin{aligned}
(N_1) & = \left\{ 1,\xi, \eta^2 , \xi\eta^2 \right\} \\
(N_2) & = \left\{ 1, \eta , \eta^2 , \eta^3 \right\} \\
(N_3) & = \left\{ 1, \eta^2 , \xi\eta, \xi\eta^3 \right\} \\
(N_4) & = \left\{ 1, \eta^2 \right\} \\
(H_1) & = \left\{ 1,\xi \right\} \\
(H_2) & = \left\{ 1,\xi\eta^2 \right\} \\
(H_3) & = \left\{ 1,\xi\eta \right\} \\
(H_4) & = \left\{ 1,\xi\eta^3 \right\}
\end{aligned}
$$

in which:
$$
\begin{aligned}
\xi : \sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow -\sqrt[4]{2} \\
i\sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow i\sqrt[4]{2} \\
-\sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow \sqrt[4]{2} \\
-i\sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow -i\sqrt[4]{2}
\end{aligned}
$$
$$
\begin{aligned}
\eta : \sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow -i\sqrt[4]{2} \\
i\sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow -\sqrt[4]{2} \\
-\sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow -i\sqrt[4]{2} \\
-i\sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow \sqrt[4]{2}
\end{aligned}
$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, notice that the splitting field of ##x^4-2## is ##E=\mathbb{Q}(i,\sqrt[4]{2}).##
This is a degree ##8## extension of ##\mathbb{Q}## with basis ##i^p\left(\sqrt[4]{2}\right)^q## where ##p=0,1## and ##q=0,1,2,3.##

In each case, it should be straightforward to check that the given field is indeed fixed by the Galois subgroups. You can also check that the index of the given field in ##E## equals the index of the Galois subgroup, which gives you what you want by the Galois correspondence theorem.

If you'd prefer to work it out directly (not using any theorems), let's take a look at ##N_1##.

The subgroup ##N_1## is generated by ##\xi## and ##\eta^2##. The element ##\xi## takes ##\sqrt[4]{2}## to ##\sqrt[4]{2}## and ##i## to ##-i##, so an element of ##E## is fixed by ##\xi## if and only if it is real.

A real element of ##E## is of the form ##a+b\sqrt[4]{2}+c\sqrt{2}+d\left(\sqrt[4]{2}\right)^3.##

The element ##\eta## takes ##\sqrt[4]{2}## to ##-i\sqrt[4]{2}## and fixes ##i##, so ##\eta^2## takes ##\sqrt[4]{2}## to ##-\sqrt[4]{2}## and ##\left(\sqrt[4]{2}\right)^3## to ##-\left(\sqrt[4]{2}\right)^3## and fixes ##\sqrt{2}##. It follows that the above general element of ##E\cap\mathbb{R}## is fixed by ##\eta^2## if and only if ##b=d=0##. So, the subfield of ##E## fixed by ##\xi## and ##\eta^2## is generated by ##\sqrt{2}##. The other correspondences are similar.

Infrared said:
First of all, notice that the splitting field of ##x^4-2## is ##E=\mathbb{Q}(i,\sqrt[4]{2}).##
This is a degree ##8## extension of ##\mathbb{Q}## with basis ##i^p\left(\sqrt[4]{2}\right)^q## where ##p=0,1## and ##q=0,1,2,3.##

……
Thanks very much.
Can ##H_{4}## and ##N_4## be deduced in detail ? I felt them more difficult.

Last edited:
I made a typo in my previous post: ##\eta## takes ##i## to ##-i## (but ##\eta^2## still fixes ##i## so it's okay).

The subgroup ##N_4## is generated by ##\eta^2##, which I worked out above takes ##\sqrt[4]{2}## to ##-\sqrt[4]{2}## and fixes ##i##. So the basis element ##i^p(\sqrt[4]{2})^q## is fixed if ##q## is even and taken to its negative if ##q## is odd. So, the fixed field of ##N_4## is generated by ##i## and ##\sqrt{2}##.

Is it possible you have a typo in ##H_4##? I think that the element ##\xi\eta^3## has order ##4##, not ##2##.

Infrared said:
I made a typo in my previous post: ##\eta## takes ##i## to ##-i## (but ##\eta^2## still fixes ##i## so it's okay).

The subgroup ##N_4## is generated by ##\eta^2##, which I worked out above takes ##\sqrt[4]{2}## to ##-\sqrt[4]{2}## and fixes ##i##. So the basis element ##i^p(\sqrt[4]{2})^q## is fixed if ##q## is even and taken to its negative if ##q## is odd. So, the fixed field of ##N_4## is generated by ##i## and ##\sqrt{2}##.
How does it come out that ##N_4## is generated by ##i## and ##\sqrt{2}##?
Infrared said:
Is it possible you have a typo in ##H_4##? I think that the element ##\xi\eta^3## has order ##4##, not ##2##.
(I checked the book and cannot discern if it has error.)

Again, you can avoid any computation if you allow yourself to use the correspondence theorem. That said,

thaiqi said:
How does it come out that ##N_4## is generated by ##i## and ##\sqrt{2}##?
We see that ##\eta^2## takes ##\sqrt[4]{2}## to its negative and fixes ##i##. Each basis element is either fixed or taken to its negative according to whether the exponent of ##\sqrt[4]{2}## is even or odd. So the fixed field of ##\langle\eta^2\rangle## is generated by the elements ##\sqrt{2},i##.

thaiqi said:
(I checked the book and cannot discern if it has error.)
Well can you check how ##\xi\eta^3## acts and see if you agree with me?

Infrared said:
Well can you check how ##\xi\eta^3## acts and see if you agree with me?
I computed the case of ##\xi\eta^3## which gives out the result of ##Q(\sqrt[4]{2}(1-i))## and did not find problem. (it takes ##\sqrt[4]{2}## into ##-i\sqrt[4]{2}## and ##i## into ##-i##)I have worked ##N_4## out. But I met problem in the same way for ##N_3##(for it is fixed for three mappings).
Can you illustrate how ##N_3## 's ##i\sqrt 2## is worked out? (I could check that ##i\sqrt 2## is invariant under those three mappings, but how can I compute it out? )

Last edited:
I think you have a typo in your formula for ##\eta##.

thaiqi said:
$$
\begin{aligned}
\eta : \sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow -i\sqrt[4]{2} \\
i\sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow -\sqrt[4]{2} \\
-\sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow -i\sqrt[4]{2} \\
-i\sqrt[4]{2} \rightarrow \sqrt[4]{2}
\end{aligned}
$$

##\eta## can't take both ##\sqrt[4]{2}## and ##-\sqrt[4]{2}## to ##-i\sqrt[4]{2}##. Presumably, one of them should be taken to ##i\sqrt[4]{2}## instead. Could you double check this?

Infrared said:
I think you have a typo in your formula for ##\eta##.
##\eta## can't take both ##\sqrt[4]{2}## and ##-\sqrt[4]{2}## to ##-i\sqrt[4]{2}##. Presumably, one of them should be taken to ##i\sqrt[4]{2}## instead. Could you double check this?
You are correct. It should be taking ##\sqrt[4]{2}## to ##i\sqrt[4]{2}##, (not ##-i\sqrt[4]{2}##)Then how about my question above?
thaiqi said:
I computed the case of ##\xi\eta^3## which gives out the result of ##Q(\sqrt[4]{2}(1-i))## and did not find problem. (it takes ##\sqrt[4]{2}## into ##-i\sqrt[4]{2}## and ##i## into ##-i##)I have worked ##N_4## out. But I met problem in the same way for ##N_3##(for it is fixed for three mappings).
Can you illustrate how ##N_3## 's ##i\sqrt 2## is worked out? (I could check that ##i\sqrt 2## is invariant under those three mappings, but how can I compute it out? )

Last edited:
The group ##N_3## is generated by ##\eta^2## and ##\xi\eta##. The element ##\eta^2## takes ##\sqrt[4]{2}## to ##-\sqrt[4]{2}## and fixes ##i##. So, the basis elements ##i^p\left(\sqrt[4]{2}\right)^q## are either fixed or taken to their negatives according to whether ##q## is even or odd.

So, a basis for the fixed field of ##\eta^2## is ##\{1,\sqrt{2},i,i\sqrt{2}\}##. But here ##\xi\eta## changes the sign of ##\sqrt{2}## and ##i## and fixes the other two, so the field of elements fixed by both ##\eta^2## and ##\xi\eta## is generated by ##i\sqrt{2}##.

I think you have explained it (##N_3##) very clearly.
Thank you very much!

In my book it writes: (as to ##N_1##)
"
[tex] \eta^2(\sqrt 2) = \eta \eta (\sqrt[4]{2}) ^2 = \eta(i \sqrt[4]{2}) = (- \sqrt[4]{2})^2 = \sqrt{2} [/tex]
"

I doubt there is a typo in it, it should be:
$$\eta(i \sqrt[4]{2})^2 $$
shouldn't it?

thaiqi: Did you mean to write "doubt" or "believe"?

zinq said:
thaiqi: Did you mean to write "doubt" or "believe"?
I think the book got an error here. But I am not self-confident.

1. What is the Galois correspondence?

The Galois correspondence is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between subgroups and field extensions in Galois theory. It states that there is a one-to-one correspondence between intermediate subgroups of a Galois group and intermediate field extensions of a given field.

2. Who discovered the Galois correspondence?

The Galois correspondence was discovered by French mathematician Évariste Galois in the early 19th century. He developed the theory while studying the solvability of polynomial equations.

3. What is the significance of the Galois correspondence?

The Galois correspondence is significant because it provides a powerful tool for understanding the structure of field extensions and their associated Galois groups. It has applications in various areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, number theory, and cryptography.

4. How does the Galois correspondence work?

The Galois correspondence works by establishing a correspondence between intermediate subgroups of a Galois group and intermediate field extensions of a given field. This correspondence is based on the concept of fixed fields, where a subgroup fixes a field if all elements in the subgroup leave every element in the field unchanged.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Galois correspondence?

The Galois correspondence has various real-world applications, such as in cryptography for creating secure encryption algorithms, in coding theory for error-correcting codes, and in physics for understanding symmetries in quantum mechanics. It also has applications in computer science for solving problems in graph theory and optimization.