1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the jones matrix for a quarter wave plate

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I need to identify the optical filter with jones matrix

[tex]A=\frac{1}{sqrt{2}}e^{-i\pi /4}\left[\begin{matrix}1&-i \\ -i&1 \end{matrix}\right][/tex]

2. Relevant equations

See attempt

3. The attempt at a solution

So I have applied the rotation matrix like this : [itex]RAR^{-1}[/itex][tex]R(\theta)=\left[\begin{matrix}\cos\theta&-\sin\theta \\ \sin\theta&\cos\theta \end{matrix}\right][/tex]I wind up with [tex]R(\pi /4)AR^{-1}(\pi /4)=e^{i\pi /2}\left[\begin{matrix}1&0 \\ 0&-1 \end{matrix}\right][/tex]Now my problem is what does the [itex]e^{i\pi /2}[/itex] mean? what makes it different from a quarter wave plate?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2
    not sure, but from Euler's formula which is exp(i*alpha)=cos(alpha)+i*sin(alpha) I know that exp(i*pi/2)=cos(pi/2)+i*sin(pi/2)=i. Then substituting i instead of exp(i*pi/2) in your last formula I ended up with matrix {{i,0},{0,-i}}
    Your matrix looks like a half wave plate with extra term of exp(i*pi/2). It might be also a HWP with fast axis at pi/4 angle w.r.t. horizontal axis: {{cos 2*pi/4, sin 2*pi/4},{sin 2*pi/4, -cos 2*pi/4}}={{i,0},{0,-i}}

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted