Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the sign of output voltage in clipper circuits

1. Jul 2, 2012 #1
    I have attached an image of a clipper circuit below.

First Question: When the sinusoidal input is positive or negative, how do i know how to label it in the

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2012 #2
    This picture tells all you need to know about AC current

attachment.php?attachmentid=48819&stc=1&d=1341222430.png

Any more questions?

Attached Files:

4. Jul 2, 2012 #3
    sorry for the post, it isn't complete, i was interrupted by my classmates while typing.
    Here's the continuation:
    What I'm actually trying to ask is how do i label the positive and negative signs. I can't express myself clearly in English so i'll just give the situation: My professor labels the upper terminal in the input side as + and the lower terminal as - when the input voltage is positive and when the input is negative, the positive and negative signs are reversed. how do i know how to label the terminals when the input is positive or negative. I'm confused because, if i flip over the circuit, doing the opposite is also valid.....

5. Jul 2, 2012 #4
    Just to clarify my question: Vin in the image I've given is positive and my professor has labelled the upper terminal in the input as + and the lower labelled as -. When the input is negative the + sign goes down and the - sign goes up.
    Is it not possible that the when Vin is positive, the upper terminal is - and the lower is +.
    If i flip the circuit backwards, this is the result.

6. Jul 2, 2012 #5
    Assume that the input is DC instead of AC.
    If the input is +20V what is the output?
    If the input is -20V what is the output?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook