1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Tutoring resume

1. Dec 31, 2013 #1
    So I'm looking to apply for a few tutoring positions in areas of algebra, calculus and physics (high school level). And I was wondering on my resume whether or not I should include relevant courses I've taken in University with brief descriptions (such as Mechanics, Linear Algebra, etc.), and courses currently enrolled in. Also note, I'm only in first year.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2013 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think that would be highly relevant information and therefor appropriate to include on a resume.

4. Jan 1, 2014 #3
    I should've been more specific. Should I still include my relevant courses/descriptions on my resume even if I'll be submitting a transcript of my academic record (which includes all my course listings)?
    And one other question, I've visited the websites of a few tutoring companies, and noticed some only indicate to attach your resume & cover letter, but doesn't mention your academic transcript.
    Normally, will employers ask for your transcript after they looked over your resume?

5. Jan 1, 2014 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's probably not a bad idea to highlight the courses that you've taken even if you are also including transcripts. Depending on the employer, they may not necessarily look all that closely at your transcripts while sorting through the applicants. Also, you can use this as an opportunity to point out any specifics you may feel are relevant - a particularly interesting project, for example.

That said, a resume is all about presenting the most relevant information about yourself in a small space. I wouldn't cut out previous experience as a tutor to include specific course work.

As to whether the employer will request transcripts, some will and some won't. It depends on the position and whether they feel that a certain level of formal education is required. A tutoring group might, for example assess you through an interview or mock tutorial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook