Question about Wall crossing formula

In summary, the Donaldson-Thomas "invariant" is given by the formula \Omega=-\frac{1}{2} Tr (-1)^{(2J_3)} (2J_3)^2, where J_3 represents the third component of the spin. By plugging in different values of J_3, we can calculate the correct values of \Omega for different particles.
kdv
I am looking at the wall-crossing formula for N=2 D=4 supersymmetry The Donaldson-Thomas "invariant" is supposedly given by

[tex] \Omega = -\frac{1}{2} Tr (-1)^{(2J_3)} (2J_3)^2 [/tex]
+
I don't understand how to use this formula. (By the way, the normalization is probably not the same for everyone so you may have seen something slightly different). Then my reference says that for the W bosons with charge [itex] (0,\pm 2)[/itex], we have [itex] \Omega =-2 [/itex] in this normalization. This works if we set [itex]J_3=1[/itex] in the above formula. So I thought that maybe [itex]J_3[/itex] referred to the spin or helicity.

But then they say that for the dyons with charge [itex] (\mp 1, \pm 2n )[/itex], we have [itex]\Omega= 1 [/itex]. Now I don't see how to get this from the formula. I mean, I see that if I consider that there are two states with [itex] J_3=1/2[/itex] I get the answer but I don't understand why this should be correct.

Can someone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Let me first clarify the notation used in the formula. The J_3 in the formula represents the third component of the spin for a given particle. This means that for a W boson with charge (0,\pm 2), the spin can take on two values: J_3=1 or J_3=-1. Plugging in these values into the formula, we get:

\Omega = -\frac{1}{2} Tr (-1)^{(2J_3)} (2J_3)^2 = -\frac{1}{2} Tr (-1)^{2} (2)^2 = -2.

This matches the value given for the W bosons with charge (0,\pm 2).

Now, for the dyons with charge (\mp 1, \pm 2n), the spin can take on four values: J_3=1/2, J_3=-1/2, J_3=3/2, J_3=-3/2. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

\Omega = -\frac{1}{2} Tr (-1)^{(2J_3)} (2J_3)^2 = -\frac{1}{2} Tr (-1)^{1} (1)^2 + (-1)^{-1} (-1)^2 + (-1)^{3} (3)^2 + (-1)^{-3} (-3)^2 = 1.

This matches the value given for the dyons with charge (\mp 1, \pm 2n). The reason why we consider two states with J_3=1/2 is because the dyons have two possible spin states: J_3=1/2 and J_3=-1/2. By taking the sum of these two states, we get the correct value of \Omega=1.

I hope this helps clarify the use of the formula. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the Wall crossing formula?

The Wall crossing formula is a mathematical equation used in physics and mathematics to describe the behavior of certain physical systems as they undergo a change in parameters or variables.

2. How is the Wall crossing formula used in science?

The Wall crossing formula is used to study the behavior of physical systems, such as quantum field theories and black holes, as they undergo changes in parameters. It helps scientists understand the behavior of these systems and make predictions about their behavior.

3. What does the Wall crossing formula tell us?

The Wall crossing formula tells us how certain physical systems, such as quantum field theories and black holes, behave as they undergo changes in parameters. It helps us understand the relationship between different physical quantities in these systems.

4. Who developed the Wall crossing formula?

The Wall crossing formula was first developed by physicists Nathan Seiberg and Edward Witten in the 1990s. They used it to study supersymmetric quantum field theories.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Wall crossing formula?

The Wall crossing formula has been used in various fields of physics, including string theory, quantum gravity, and black hole physics. It has also been applied in mathematics, particularly in the study of algebraic geometry and the theory of modular forms.