Question from Lin Al quiz I'm pretty sure I got wrong.

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary, the conversation was about a question involving finding a point on a given plane closest to another point. The speaker initially used proj(n)(AB) to find the point, but later discovered that the textbook solution uses perp(n)(BA) instead. They discussed the difference between the two methods and concluded that they both achieve the same result. The speaker also mentioned their frustration with the faculty strike and the challenges it has caused in their education. Ultimately, the question asked for a specific point on the plane, not the distance, which the speaker provided.
moe darklight
ok... back in school after a 3-week faculty strike.

I'm pretty sure I got this wrong:

specifics aren't important. the question was to find a point on a given plane closest to a point A.

What I did was find a point B on the plane, and do proj(n)(AB)
n being a normal to the plane.

... when I look in my textbook the answer to a question like this is perp(n)(BA). Are they both right, or did I do it wrong? ... I mean, it makes sense to me that a projection of AB onto n would land in the same place, no?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think so. Projecting onto the normal looks like what you want. I'm not sure what perp(n)(BA) means.

I attached picture of what I drew on the exam.

By perp, we use:

perp(a)(b) = b - proj(a)(b)

= b - (a dot b/a dot a)aThe textbook uses that. I guess my question is is the perp(n)(BA) the same as the proj(a)(AB)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 358
It looks like proj(a)(b) is the projection of b onto the direction of the vector a and perp(a)(b) is the component of b perpendicular to the direction of a. So proj(a)(b)+perp(a)(b)=b. I still think you did the right thing by projecting (AB) onto the normal.

yea this is why I'm confused, because I too think it makes sense that it would be the projection onto the normal, but the book uses the perp.

I dunno, I guess I'll have to wait till next thursday to find out. ugh. Honestly,, the faculty goes on strike for 3 weeks, now we have thanksgiving break/reading week... I don't know how I'm going to make it with this class; the textbook is the worst I've ever seen, midterms are supposed to be at the end of this month, yet we've only had like two weeks of class. All I know is that according to the textbook I'm wrong, but I don't understand why.

EDIT: okay, I figured out why it's wrong: I should be starting the projection at B, which is what the perp is, otherwise I'm just getting the distance between the two points. the sad part is that I actually did it right on the quiz the first time, then changed it. aghh. O well, live and learn.

Last edited:
Still think you did it right. The question asked for the distance from A to the plane, right? |proj(n)(AB)| is that thing. |perp(n)(AB)| is the distance from B to the point closest in the plane to A. Sorry to upset you, but unless you phrased the question wrong, you are still right.

lol don't worry you can't upset me. I'm upset at teachers going on strike and me having to pay for a full semester plus living costs when I'm not getting a full semester's worth of education. ... and at myself for getting the question wrong. ... and at the laundry machine that took my quarters today and then blew a fuse and I had to pay twice. ... this has not been my month :rofl:

And yea, it asked for the specific point on the plane, not the distance which is what I gave.

moe darklight said:
And yea, it asked for the specific point on the plane, not the distance which is what I gave.

Oh. Sorry then!

1. What was the question from Lin Al quiz that you think you got wrong?

The question from the Lin Al quiz that I think I got wrong was about solving a system of linear equations using the elimination method.

2. Why do you think you got this question wrong?

I think I got this question wrong because I may have made a mistake in my calculations or missed a step in the elimination method.

3. Can you explain the elimination method for solving a system of linear equations?

The elimination method involves manipulating the equations in a system to eliminate one variable, leaving a simplified equation with only one variable. This process is repeated until all variables have been eliminated, resulting in a solution for each variable.

4. What are some common mistakes students make when using the elimination method?

Some common mistakes students make when using the elimination method include: forgetting to distribute negative signs, incorrectly combining like terms, and making errors in the elimination process.

5. How can I improve my understanding and performance in solving systems of linear equations?

To improve your understanding and performance in solving systems of linear equations, it is important to practice regularly and review your work for errors. It can also be helpful to seek additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, and to ask for help from a teacher or tutor if needed.