Help with Physics Problem: Elevator Weighing 25,000 N

• Thread starter Aiasha
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is asking to find the tension in the cable supporting an elevator weighing 25,000 N while being accelerated upward at a rate of 3.0 m/s^2. To solve this, you need to use Newton's second law, which states that Fnet = ma. The forces acting on the elevator are its weight (25,000 N) and the tension in the cable (unknown). By setting up a free body diagram and using algebra to solve for the unknown tension, you can find that the tension in the cable is 7653 N.
Aiasha
question...please hel;ppp

guys iam takin physics

nd i don't get physics attt allll!
pllz hlp me with this
i need to show work as well

an elvtor weighing 25,000 N is supported by a steal cable. that is the tension in the cable wehn the elavotor is begin accelerated upward at the reate of 3.0 m/s^2? (g= 9.8m/s^2)
pleasezz help[

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to draw a free body diagram and use Newton's second law. What forces are acting on the elevator?

well u c
i duno how to do all that
thats wut my prblem is
can u hlp me out

OK, well I can't just give you the answer to a test question. If you think about the elevator, the tension is pulling it up and the weight is pulling it down. The net acceleration on the elevator is up. Newton's second law says that Fnet = ma. So if you add the forces together (using positive for up and negative for down), you can write a single equation from Newton's second law. After one step of algebra, you can use that to solve for the tension. I hope that helps you out.

Trying a basic explanation...

First off, tension is much the same as force. It's just another name engineers invented when they're talking about a force that is transmitted by a cable, string, or something like that. So what you're looking for is a force, OK?

Now, the first force that acts on everything on Earth's surface, is the force of gravity. It makes things fall. Experiments have shown that any falling object accelerates at
[tex]
g = 9.8 \frac{m}{s^2}
[/tex]
We know that things fall a lot slower on the Moon. Why is this? It's so because the force of gravity is smaller there (because the Moon is a smaller body than the Earth). So, ISAAC NEWTON concluded that the acceleration is a measure of force, and arrived at his famous 2nd law
[tex]
F = ma
[/tex]
where a is the acceleration produced by a force F acting on a body of mass m.
That's why the unit of force is called one Newton:
[tex]
1 N = 1 kg \cdot 1 \frac{m}{s^2}
[/tex]
You see it's the unit of mass *times* the unit of acceleration.

Now back to your problem: Two things are exerting forces on your elevator. One is the Earth (pulling it down), and the other is the elevator's motor (pulling it up). Both forces will add, giving the cable tension (remember: =force) Can you calculate both forces by Newton's second law? And find the sum?

Last edited:
thanx guys
but if u tell the eqauitns whihc i have to solve
than i can solve it
i mean liek the free body diagram
nd wut equations i need to solve it

i jus don't get it [b(]

Aiasha,

We don't do your homework for you here. We'll help you if you actually make an attempt at it, but we simply won't help you cheat. Sorry.

Here's a recommendation: open you book, and start reading. Setting up free body diagrams is not difficult to do.

If you try the problem and post what you've got, you may get some help.

ok i got
f=ma
f= 25,000(3.0m/s^2)
is that somwhat right?

That's what the force would be if there was no gravity. You've got to sum all forces on it.

how do i do that?
common am soo confused

u should master Free Body Diagrams thoroughly.
Consult any standard book

know more about forces, types of forces, frame of reference etc

Originally posted by Aiasha
ok i got
f=ma
f= 25,000(3.0m/s^2)
is that somwhat right?

No, it's wrong.
25,000 N is not the elevator's mass. Since it's in Newtons, it must be the force of gravity, right? (Did you read my other post?)
You got to find the mass m by using F = mg, and rearranging that. Do you know how to rearrange an equation to solve for the unknown?
Next, you use F = ma to find the elevator's force.

how do i rearrange that
nd wut do i subsitute in thos eletters

You rearrange like this:
[tex]
F = mg | :g
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{F}{g}=m
[/tex]
[tex]
m= \frac{F}{g}
[/tex]
Plug in your F, and the g that I told you in my 1st post.

(You should study more. What I tell you is all very basic (grade 8), and you should know it if you're taking this course.)

Last edited:
this is wut i got
f=mg
25000=m(9.8m/s^2)
2551=m
f=ma
2551*3.0
f=7653

is that righ?

Yes. The motor force is 7653 N (you should always use units). Now that adds to the elevator's weight, giving WHAT?

1. How do you calculate the weight of an elevator?

To calculate the weight of an elevator, you need to know its mass and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for weight is weight = mass x acceleration due to gravity. In this case, the elevator has a weight of 25,000 N, so we can calculate its mass by dividing the weight by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), which gives us a mass of approximately 2,551 kg.

2. Why is it important to know the weight of an elevator?

Knowing the weight of an elevator is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps ensure the elevator is properly designed and can safely carry its maximum load capacity. It is also important for maintenance and safety purposes, as knowing the weight can help determine if the elevator is functioning correctly and if any repairs or adjustments need to be made. Additionally, the weight of an elevator can impact the building's structural design and load-bearing capabilities.

3. How is the weight of an elevator measured?

The weight of an elevator is typically measured using a scale or load cell. These devices are placed under the elevator and can accurately measure the weight of the elevator and its contents. In some cases, the weight may also be calculated using the elevator's mass and the force of gravity, as mentioned in the first question.

4. Can the weight of an elevator change?

Yes, the weight of an elevator can change. This can happen if the elevator is carrying a different load or if any of its components, such as cables or counterweights, are altered. It is important to regularly check and update the weight of an elevator to ensure it is functioning properly and safely.

5. How does the weight of an elevator affect its movement?

The weight of an elevator can affect its movement in several ways. Firstly, it impacts the amount of power and energy required to move the elevator up and down. A heavier elevator will require more energy to lift and lower compared to a lighter one. Additionally, the weight can affect the speed and acceleration of the elevator, as well as the amount of strain on its components.