Question: How old were you when you got married?

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
In summary: Since I posted this thread last year, my status has not changed -- still single (although I am dating).

How old were you when you got married?

• Ages 18-24

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Ages 25-35

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Ages 35-45

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Ages > 45

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Single/never married

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. I've been reading of repeated posts about PF members going back to school in their late twenties, often with a spouse (and children). So I wanted to pose this question to all of you -- how old were you when you got married? (this would include same-sex marriages for those of you who are LGBT -- in Canada where I'm from, same-sex marriage has been legal for the last decade, and same-sex marriages are legal in several countries in Europe)

As for myself, I'm currently 40 years old and am single (never married), although I am in a long-term relationship.

This poll will be closed after 90 days (approximately 4 months).

Physics news on Phys.org

George Jones said:
Before getting married, I lived for 19 years as a bachelor without housemates. I recently mentioned this to a friend, who instantly and perceptively replied “That must have been hard on your wife!”

For those of us who have been married more than once, how do you want us to answer?

I was married to young and regretted it ever since.

Where is the corresponding divorce vote?

Last edited:
Likes mister mishka
I got to say, for a 'statguy' that's a pretty poorly worded stat question.

I was 30 and my wife was 34.

Not yet, still looking...:blushing:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Been married 32 years. My wife says you don't get that long for murder :-)

Likes StatGuy2000, CynicusRex, 1oldman2 and 1 other person
CWatters said:
Been married 32 years. My wife says you don't get that long for murder :-)
5/9 was 36 for me. Your wifes humor helps doesn't it. (convicted of 1st degree marriage)

Likes Astronuc and ProfuselyQuarky
1oldman2 said:
5/9 was 36 for me. Your wifes humor helps doesn't it. (convicted of 1st degree marriage)
You beat me by two months: 3 august will be 36 for me.

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
For those of us who have been married more than once, how do you want us to answer?

I would count the first time that you were married.

Bandersnatch said:
I got to say, for a 'statguy' that's a pretty poorly worded stat question.

How so? I am asking how old were you (or other PF members) when they first got married. I'm not interested in whether or when you were divorced -- that's for a separate poll/questionnaire.

Part of the reason I've set up this poll is to determine when people (at least the PF members) first marry. Do PF members tend to marry young, or older?

Within my own family, I've noticed members of my mother's side of the family tend to marry late (if they marry at all), and members of my father's side of the family tend to marry early. As I'm 40 and still single, I wanted to get a sense of whether that is common in the PF population.

I meant that it's not unambiguous whether you meant the first marriage, or the current one. Don't take it too personally, I was drunk when I wrote it, so it comes off as more belligerent than I'd normally intend.

Likes StatGuy2000
StatGuy2000 said:
I would count the first time that you were married.
OK, first time - that wasn't clear from the initial post. Personally I don't count the first time, as that's when I got it wrong, and it didn't last very long. The last time is when I think I got it right, and has lasted many times longer.

Likes StatGuy2000, mister mishka and davenn
The statistics don't bode well for my matrimonial options, unless I get on to it really fast. :/

Likes StatGuy2000
Jonathan Scott said:
OK, first time - that wasn't clear from the initial post. Personally I don't count the first time, as that's when I got it wrong, and it didn't last very long. The last time is when I think I got it right, and has lasted many times longer.

Fair enough. I should add that the poll wasn't intended to ask whether the (first) marriage was right or not, or happy or not, merely when you were first married. I admit that the question should have been more explicit about this.

I was 20. At one point in my life I was one of the "married, with children and planning to go to graduate school." I still remember having to dumpster dive to feed my family. Thankfully my daughter doesn't :D.

Likes 1oldman2
My wife and I were both 31. We just celebrated our 28th anniversary in Feb.

Likes davenn, 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
Kevin McHugh said:
We just celebrated our 28th anniversary in Feb.
Congratulations !

1oldman2 said:
Congratulations !

Thanks, that was one thing I got right :biggrin:

Likes 1oldman2
At 30, last september

Likes 1oldman2
Michelle Bryant said:
I am yet single :)

Since I posted this thread last year, my status has not changed -- still single (although I am dating). :)

Likes Michelle Bryant and 1oldman2

1. How does the age at which someone gets married impact their relationship?

The age at which someone gets married can impact their relationship in various ways. Some studies suggest that getting married at a younger age may lead to a higher risk of divorce, while others show that getting married at an older age may lead to a more stable and satisfying relationship. Ultimately, the success of a marriage depends on the individuals involved and their readiness for commitment.

2. Is there an ideal age to get married?

There is no one ideal age to get married as it varies for each individual. Some people may feel ready for marriage in their early 20s, while others may wait until their 30s or even later. Factors such as personal values, relationship readiness, and financial stability can all play a role in determining the ideal age for marriage.

3. Are there cultural or societal expectations for the age at which someone should get married?

Yes, there can be cultural or societal expectations for the age at which someone should get married. In some cultures, it is common for people to marry at a younger age, while in others, it may be more common to wait until later in life. However, these expectations should not dictate an individual's personal decision on when to get married.

4. Does the age at which someone gets married affect their overall happiness?

The age at which someone gets married may have some impact on their overall happiness, but it is not the determining factor. Other factors such as the quality of the relationship, personal fulfillment, and life circumstances can all play a role in an individual's happiness. It is important to consider all aspects before making the decision to get married.

5. How has the average age at which people get married changed over time?

The average age at which people get married has been increasing over the years. In the United States, the average age for first marriages in 2019 was 29.8 for men and 27.8 for women, compared to 23.2 and 20.8 respectively in 1980. This trend can be attributed to various factors such as changes in societal norms, increased education and career opportunities for women, and a shift towards prioritizing personal fulfillment before marriage.