Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Successfull career, whether academic or otherwise

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • Highschool diploma

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • No minimal qualifications

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters
Same here. But that's because I'm a jerk.
:rofl:

I believe this question is meaningless.

We all pick with different criteria. There are people who only care about... the more physical side of a relationship and therefore have no use for academic qualifications. Others want more intimacy and could feel better if they could discuss everyday work problems with their significant others. How can you meaningfully compare the choices of these two? What meaningful information can you gain from such a comparison or from the preferences of others seen in the poll?

Perhaps a better question would be "Would you date a non-scientist IF what you look for in a relationship is so-and-so"

I guess in my case I am looking more on an emotional side than sexual. What I want from a relationship is a combination of a feeling of self-worth as well as the fulfillment of a need to connect to someone emotionally.

On self worth part, I need to convince myself that someone appreciates me enough to actually date me. This is a big issue because, due to Asperger Syndrome, most people don't.

On emotionally connecting part, I guess I just don't want to feel lonely and want someone to care for me. I feel that perhaps if I will be with the right girl it would take me to "another dimension" so to speak. Well I had 7 girls and none of them took me to "another dimension". But on the other hand, there was that other girl, Anne, who rejected me. SHE was the graduate student in math. And I feel that if only I had HER, things would be perfect, because I enjoyed that week I spent with her back in 2005. That is what makes me wonder that perhaps I can replace her with someone else who is either a graduate student, like she was, or better.

What I don't want from a relationship is a girl that requires so much time that it sacrifices my physics. That is one reason I feel scientist would respect that.

The other reason I want a scientist is self worth part. I mean if I think about it, it sounds very silly if I "look up" to a girl who only has high school deploma as a credible source of someone who "appreciates me". In fact, it will only ruin my self esteem more. I mean how can I respect myself if I am willing to stoop down to a level that most physicists don't? And this is where the "poll" comes in: if most physicists ARE willing to date non-scientists then perhaps it is not such a bad thing.

I guess in my case I am looking more on an emotional side than sexual. What I want from a relationship is a combination of a feeling of self-worth as well as the fulfillment of a need to connect to someone emotionally.

On self worth part, I need to convince myself that someone appreciates me enough to actually date me. This is a big issue because, due to Asperger Syndrome, most people don't.

On emotionally connecting part, I guess I just don't want to feel lonely and want someone to care for me. I feel that perhaps if I will be with the right girl it would take me to "another dimension" so to speak. Well I had 7 girls and none of them took me to "another dimension". But on the other hand, there was that other girl, Anne, who rejected me. SHE was the graduate student in math. And I feel that if only I had HER, things would be perfect, because I enjoyed that week I spent with her back in 2005. That is what makes me wonder that perhaps I can replace her with someone else who is either a graduate student, like she was, or better.

What I don't want from a relationship is a girl that requires so much time that it sacrifices my physics. That is one reason I feel scientist would respect that.

The other reason I want a scientist is self worth part. I mean if I think about it, it sounds very silly if I "look up" to a girl who only has high school deploma as a credible source of someone who "appreciates me". In fact, it will only ruin my self esteem more. I mean how can I respect myself if I am willing to stoop down to a level that most physicists don't? And this is where the "poll" comes in: if most physicists ARE willing to date non-scientists then perhaps it is not such a bad thing.
I think the problem here is not the women, it's you. You sound very narrow minded and unwilling to accept anything that's different from yourself.

morninglover1
im in the medical field and altho have been propositioned by doctors and have dated 1 doctor im not going to have one as a bf and definitely not one as a husband. what talk abt medical stuff all day long..gag.

Ahhhhh :redface:

Choosing a girl on the basis of her educational qualification,sorry,I'd never do that.

Where is the "doctor" option? Free medical care anyone?

it wil be funny to imagine two scientists marry and in honeymoon, they argue about
theories about cosmos and relativity.:biggrin:

i think it's good to date a female partner and marry who is less qualified in your field. it will not bring ego problem.

I spend all day around theoretical physicists. I've never met another group of people with such a high percentage of dull and boring personalities. I'll take a girl with no education and the ability to dance well any day of the week over a physicist.

the question should be: would a non-scientist date a scientist? :P

I'm out of the dating game since I got married. Still, I voted for no minimal requirements based on my past behavior. I know that sounds like I was desperate, but it isn't really true. After one particularly bad experience, I always insisted on a pulse.

eeep! this thread is very hard to read. at first i was thinking that you need to relax and get over it BUT then after thinking about my own personal experiences, i can say with certainty that finding someone who holds your interest is SO important. Usually that means having the same intelligence level and same appreciation and interest in academia. What i do not agree with, however, is that you need to date someone in the same field as you. It might become overwhelming. If you're parents would be ashamed of you for dating a non PhD then that is sad :(

Just look for someone who makes you happy, and someone who challenges you on several levels - and someone who is either in your intellectual demographic or who is passionate about many of the same things.