Question ιn Physics about moving magnets?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of a magnet, named Alpha, being stopped or having its velocity reduced by another magnet, named Omega, when they meet. The dimensions and orientation of the magnets were discussed, as well as the importance of knowing the strength of the magnetic fields. It was suggested that the orientation of the magnets may play a role in their interaction, and the possibility of finding a mathematical formula to determine the outcome was raised.
k90
Hi, today i had exams in Physics and my Professor as an extra points question was asking the following question.

We have 2 magnets, one is named Alpha with dimensions 100 cm length, 70 cm width and 2 cm thickness (100x70x2) and the other one is named Omega (200x100x5).

Alpha is moving towards Omega with a velocity (u) of 100 km/hour and Omega is steady on the ground (u=0).
If Alpha which is moving, meet Omega which is steady on the ground, whould be possible Omega reduce the Velocity or even stop emmediately the moving of the magnet Alpha?

If yes why, and if not why...

Assume that the distance of the two surfaces when they meet (axisymmetric) will be 5 cm and also that are parallel to each other. The pole of Alpha is + and Omega - (or upside down, i think it does not matter).

Does anyone know the answer, is there any mathematical formula that i can use to find if Alpha will stop or not?

I would apprieciate if you could explain what is going on with this questio as no one of my friends knows the answer...

Thank you in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

k90 said:
We have 2 magnets, one is named Alpha with dimensions 100 cm length, 70 cm width and 2 cm thickness (100x70x2) and the other one is named Omega (200x100x5).

This useless info as it tells us nothing about the strength of the individual magnets
and that is why the specifics of the following cannot be answered ...

k90 said:
Alpha is moving towards Omega with a velocity (u) of 100 km/hour and Omega is steady on the ground (u=0).
If Alpha which is moving, meet Omega which is steady on the ground, would be possible Omega reduce the Velocity or even stop immediately the moving of the magnet Alpha?

reduce the velocity, yes if the poles are the same ... there will be a repulsion
k90 said:
Assume that the distance of the two surfaces when they meet (axisymmetric) will be 5 cm and also that are parallel to each other. The pole of Alpha is + and Omega - (or upside down, i think it does not matter).

the orientation of the magnets IS important ...

what do you know about magnets and how they behave in the presence of other magnets ?Dave

Hi, thanks for your answer Dave,

I do not think that i remember or know further details, but let's assume that we can find everything that we need (i.e. mass, strength of the magnetic field) would be possible if the poles was the same, to stop emmediatelly the magnet Alpha? If yes how? if no why? is any Mathematical formula that i can "change" the numbers and see if this is possible?

Thank you for your observations.
Kind regards

Kostas

1. How do moving magnets produce electricity?

Moving magnets produce electricity through electromagnetic induction. When a magnet moves near a conductor, such as a wire, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a current in the conductor.

2. What is the difference between a moving magnet and a stationary magnet?

A stationary magnet only has a magnetic field, while a moving magnet also has kinetic energy. This kinetic energy can be converted into electrical energy through electromagnetic induction.

3. Can a magnet lose its magnetic field when it is moving?

No, a magnet's magnetic field is a fundamental property and cannot be lost. However, a magnet's strength can weaken over time or when subjected to external factors.

4. How does the movement of a magnet affect its magnetic field?

The movement of a magnet can affect its magnetic field by changing the strength or direction of the field. For example, the strength of a magnet's field increases when it moves closer to another magnet.

5. Why do moving magnets attract or repel each other?

Moving magnets attract or repel each other due to their magnetic fields interacting with each other. Like poles (North-North or South-South) repel each other, while opposite poles (North-South or South-North) attract each other.