Understanding Sets: Simplifying a Confusing Explanation and Question

• Thread starter mohabitar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation is discussing a mathematical concept where any subset of integers does not have a lower bound. The example given is the negative odd integers. The question is asking how to determine what the question is asking if the solution is not provided. The question is clarified in simpler terms, stating that for any subset A of Z, there is no element y of Z such that y is less than or equal to every element of A. The person is asked why they do not understand the question in this way.
mohabitar
VZFvj.png

I'm not quite understanding the explanation, or what the question is even asking. Anyone care to politely put it in simpler terms? Or in words or in a way that would make it easy for me to see?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mohabitar! :wink:

it's saying that it's not true that any subset of the integers has a lower bound …

for example, the negative odd integers have no lower bound :smile:

Hmm ok so that works for the solution, but what if that wasnt there. How would I be able to tell what the question is asking? How would you have been able to see it had the solution not been there?

hi mohabitar! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
mohabitar said:
Hmm ok so that works for the solution, but what if that wasnt there. How would I be able to tell what the question is asking? How would you have been able to see it had the solution not been there?

In English, the question says "For any subset A of Z, there is no element y of Z such that y is less than (or equal to) every element of A."

Why do you not understand the question that way? :confused:

I can help clarify the concept of sets for you. A set is a collection of objects or elements that share a common characteristic. For example, a set of fruits could include apples, oranges, and bananas. The confusing explanation may be referring to the mathematical notation and terminology used in describing sets, such as union, intersection, and subsets. The question is likely asking for a simpler explanation or visual representation of how sets work. Imagine a Venn diagram, where overlapping circles represent sets and the areas where they overlap represent elements that are shared between the sets. I hope this helps to simplify the concept for you.

What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct and well-defined objects or elements. These objects can be numbers, letters, symbols, or any other type of object.

What are the different types of sets?

The three main types of sets are finite, infinite, and empty. Finite sets have a specific number of elements, while infinite sets have an unlimited number of elements. Empty sets have no elements.

What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. It is denoted by the symbol "n" or "|" followed by the set name. For example, if a set contains the numbers 1, 2, 3, its cardinality would be 3.

What is the intersection of two sets?

The intersection of two sets is the set of elements that are common to both sets. This means that if set A and set B have elements in common, the intersection of A and B would be a new set containing those common elements.

How do you represent a set using set-builder notation?

Set-builder notation is a mathematical notation used to represent sets. It consists of a description of the elements in the set, followed by a vertical bar "|" and a condition that the elements must satisfy. For example, the set of even numbers can be represented as {x | x is an integer and x is divisible by 2}.