Understanding the Limit Rule for sin(3t)cos(5t) [SOLVED]

• Thread starter Goldenwind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the person tried to solve a limit rule problem by using the well-known limits of sin(3t)cos(5t)/sin(5t), and then breaking them down into 3 separate limits.
Goldenwind
[SOLVED] Question on a limit rule

Homework Statement

http://www.math.yorku.ca/Who/Faculty/Kochman/M1300/solutions/solF06/SFE.pdf
Question 3. My question is (Using t as theta, as I'm too lazy to use TeX), when going from the limit of sin(3t)cos(5t)/sin(5t), the person then breaks up this limit into 3 separate limits (All multiplied by each other), then reduces those 3 limits down to 3/5, 1, and 1.

Where did those 3 limits come from? What is the rule or theorem that I'm missing here?
I get how they break down into 3/5, 1, and 1, but I don't see how he split the first into those 3.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Google? :P

Physics news on Phys.org
They've just multiplied the top and bottom of the expression by 3, 5 and theta. That is, they have multiplied the expression by 1, three times.

First of all, there's a mistake in the solution; in the first of the three limits, the cos(5t) should be in the numerator, not the denomator.

Correcting this, the product of the three expressions (before you take the limit), equals the original expression, so this breakup is mathematically correct.

Why choose this particular form? Because we know sin(x)/x -> 1 as x->0, so it's useful to put in a factor of 1/x for each sin(x) (in the numerator or denominator). The leftover stuff then turns out be a number times cos(x), and the limit of this is easy as well. So the general idea was to write the original expression as a product of expressions whose limits are well known.

cristo said:
They've just multiplied the top and bottom of the expression by 3, 5 and theta. That is, they have multiplied the expression by 1, three times.
At first I thought I got it, but then something else threw me off.

Without multiplying by 1, sin(3t)cos(5t)/sin(5t) would break into:
Limit of [ sin(3t) / 1 ]
Limit of [ cos(5t) / 1 ]
Limit of [ 1 / sin(5t) ]

However their three limits have one sin on the top, one sin on the bottom, and one cos on the bottom.

How did their cos get to the bottom of the fraction?

Goldenwind said:
How did their cos get to the bottom of the fraction?
Yea, sorry, I didn't notice that; see the above post by Avodyne.

Good to know. Thank-you for your help :)
/solved

1. What is a limit rule?

A limit rule is a mathematical rule used to determine the limit of a function as the input approaches a certain value or infinity.

2. What are the different types of limit rules?

Some common limit rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules are used to evaluate limits of polynomial, rational, and exponential functions.

3. How do you use a limit rule to evaluate a limit?

To use a limit rule, you first identify the type of function and then apply the corresponding rule. For example, if the function is a polynomial, you would use the power rule to evaluate the limit.

4. What is the purpose of using limit rules?

The purpose of using limit rules is to determine the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. This can help in understanding the overall behavior of the function and making predictions about its values.

5. Are there any exceptions to limit rules?

Yes, there are some cases where limit rules may not be applicable, such as when the function is undefined or when the limit does not exist. It is important to consider these exceptions when using limit rules to evaluate a limit.