1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on a waves/sound problem

1. Jul 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question: Two strings at different lengths and linear densities are joined together. They are stretched so that the tension in each string is 190.0 N. The free ends are fixed in place. Find the lowest frequency that permits standing waves in both strings with a node at the junction. The standing wave pattern in each string may have a different number of loops.

2. Relevant equations

3.75 m 1.25m
    _________________=====================

6*10^-2 kg/m 1.5*10^-2 kg/m

(this is kinda what the picture looks like if it helps but it seems really confusing on the computer)

Equations I should use (there may be others):
    f=nv/2L
    (n1v1)/2L1=(n2v2)/2L2

Other information I am given:
    L1=3.75
    L2=1.25
    n1=?
    n2=?
    v1=?
    v2=?
    (m/L)=6.00x10^-2 kg/m
    (m/L)2=1.50x10^-2 kg/m

I need to create a ratio between n1 and n2.

I don’t understand how I get v and then how to find a ratio between n1 and n2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well above I listed all the variables I knew and the ones I didn't know. from that I plugged what I had into the second equation and got (n1v1)/2(3.75)=(n2v2)/2(1.25). That is about how far I got. I don’t understand how I get v and then how to find a ratio between n1 and n2.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2011 #2
    Sorry the picture got a little messed up on the computer. Hopefully it will be easy to tell where things go based on the other information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook