A problem about stationary waves ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a finger on a violin string to increase its frequency from 500 Hz to 650 Hz. The formula for frequency is mentioned, and after some calculations, it is determined that the finger should be placed 9.23 cm away from one end of the string. This is typically done at the scroll side of the string. The conversation also addresses concerns about the string producing a second harmonic tone and the explanation that the shortened string will vibrate differently.
Douna2nd

Homework Statement

a violin string of length 40 cm and mass 1.2 gm has a frequency 500 hz when it produces fundamental tone where should you place your finger to increase frequency to 650 hz

Homework Equations

frequency = n/2L . sqrt FT/ML

The Attempt at a Solution

i just want to make sure if the answer i got is right frequency 1 is 500 and frequency 2 is 650
i made v1/v2= n1/n2 x 2L2/2L1 x sqrt FT1/FT2 x sqrt ML2/ML1
so i crossed length 2 with length one due to length is the same and force of tension and mass per unit length also and remains the number of segments the first one n1 is 1 because its fundamental while the other one is unknown and he's asking for i think ?
so v1/v2 = n1/n2 500/650=n1/n2 since n1=1 so n2 = 10/13 = 1.3 m ? so i have to place my fingers 1.3 m away from the first node or 1.3 is the number of segments or what ? i just got stuck here s

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is about fundamental tones, so n = 1 in both case. When you place a finger on a string, you change its length. Everything else stays the same.

okay so i got L2
v1/v2=n1/n2 * 2L2/2L1 *√FT1/FT2 * √ML2/ML1
and i crossed mass per liter and forces of tension and number of segments so it's v1/v2= L2/L1
500/650=L2/40 L2=30.77cm but that's the length of the segment, still where should i place my finger on the string ? I searched about the problem and found the final answer was L2 = 30.77 cm; "place finger 9.23 cm from scroll bridge" how did he knew i will place my fingers exactly 9.231 cm ? and what is meant by " from scroll bridge"

i know this feels stupid but if i placed my finger at the end of the string when it's 40 cm it will produce frequency of 500 hz ? while if i placed my finger at 9.23 cm away from the end it will prodce frequency of 650 ?

and if i did place my finger 9.23 away wouldn't the string make a second harmonic tone because it vibrates from the right and left of my finger ?

When you place a finger on a string, it won't be vibrating at the left and at the right. It will only vibrate where it is agitated with the bow. Another reason it won't vibrate on the other side is because most of it will be just pressed against the wood of the neck.

Second and higher order harmonics will obviously exist, but they will be multiples of the fundamental tone of the shortened string, not the original string.

ahhaaaaaa ! Got it! Thanks

1. What are stationary waves?

Stationary waves, also known as standing waves, are a type of wave that does not appear to move or propagate through space. They are formed by the interference of two waves of the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions.

2. How are stationary waves created?

Stationary waves are created when two waves with the same amplitude and frequency travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This interference results in certain points along the wave where the amplitude is always zero, known as nodes, and points where the amplitude is at its maximum, known as antinodes.

3. What is the difference between a stationary wave and a traveling wave?

A stationary wave does not appear to move or propagate through space, while a traveling wave moves through a medium. Stationary waves are formed by the interference of two waves traveling in opposite directions, while traveling waves are formed by a single wave traveling in one direction.

4. What are the applications of stationary waves?

Stationary waves have many practical applications, such as in musical instruments, where they are responsible for producing specific harmonics and creating different notes. They are also used in telecommunications, particularly in fiber optics, to transmit data over long distances.

5. How are stationary waves related to resonance?

Stationary waves and resonance are closely related, as stationary waves can only form when there is resonance between the two interfering waves. This means that the frequency of the waves must be the same for stationary waves to occur. Resonance is also used in tuning instruments, where the desired pitch is achieved by creating stationary waves.