1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question on combining 2 streams of different pressure

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Well I was given an assignment to find ways to solve the the problem of how to mix the 2 streams in the digram together at the lowest cost possible.

The pressures of the 2 streams that are being mixed together are 10 bar and 30 bar

The fear is that instead of combining into 1 stream, the flow from the 30 bar will flow into the 10bar stream and damage the pump

[PLAIN]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1051/drawing1x.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The only way i can think of so far is to just add in a tank at the intersection where the 2 streams meet to store both streams before i pump them out as 1 combined stream. But however i don't think it is very cost effective. So i stuck to as how i can continue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What about using a throttling process on the high pressure line.

Also, think about relationship between pressure (and pressure drop) and fluid velocity, e.g., Bernoulli's equation.

Certainly the two streams would have to enter a chamber with a pressure less than 10 bar.

4. Jun 20, 2010 #3
    Hey thanks for the reply :D

Hmmm... By throttling process do u mean adding in a throttling valve? Im not sure if i gt it right but a throttling valve will change the velocity of the fluid and so based Bernoulli's equation the pressure would also change???.

Also while searching i also came across Pressure Reducing Valves PRV.

Is there a difference between the the throttling valves and the PRV???

5. Feb 24, 2011 #4
    If you are worried about the low pressure pump, just protect it with a check valve. As long as the pressure at the mixing point is less than 10 bar, you won't have a problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook