How Does Atmospheric Pressure Affect Water Stream Shrinkage?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of water flowing through a hole at the bottom of a tank filled to a height of 3m with a radius of 1.5cm, as well as the distance at which the radius of the stream reduces to 1cm. The answer is calculated using the conservation of volumetric flow rate and acceleration due to gravity.
dmk90

Homework Statement

Water flows through a hole at the bottom of a tank that is filled to a height h=3m. The radius of the hole is r1 = 1.5 cm.
1. What is the speed of the water immediately after it leaves the hole?

2. At what distance d below the bottom of the tank is the radius of the stream reduced to r2 = 1 cm?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to solve the speed for 7.7 m/s. However, I'm not sure what formula to use to address the atmospheric pressure that cause the stream to shrink.

Physics news on Phys.org
The stream shrinks because it is accelerating gravitationally. As it speeds up, for the flow rate to remain constant, the cross sectional area must decrease.

Chet

Based on your clarification, I calculated the velocity at the bottom using the conservation of volumetric flow rate (R = Av = constant), v0 = 17.3. Then g = dv/dt -> dt = dv/g = 0.98 s. Then d = d0 + v0t + 0.5at2 = 12.3, which seems to be the correct result. What do you think?

dmk90 said:
Based on your clarification, I calculated the velocity at the bottom using the conservation of volumetric flow rate (R = Av = constant), v0 = 17.3. Then g = dv/dt -> dt = dv/g = 0.98 s. Then d = d0 + v0t + 0.5at2 = 12.3, which seems to be the correct result. What do you think?
I haven't checked your arithmetic, but you seem to have the right idea.

I would suggest using the Bernoulli's equation to address the atmospheric pressure that causes the stream to shrink. This equation takes into account both the kinetic energy and potential energy of the water flow, as well as the pressure exerted by the surrounding atmosphere. By solving for the pressure at the bottom of the tank and at the exit point of the hole, you can then calculate the pressure difference that causes the stream to shrink. Additionally, you can also consider factors such as the viscosity of the water and the shape of the hole to further understand the water pressure problem.

1. What is water pressure and why is it important?

Water pressure is the force exerted by water against the walls of a container or surface. It is important because it determines the flow and movement of water through pipes and into homes, as well as the efficiency of water-based appliances and systems.

2. What causes low water pressure?

Low water pressure can be caused by a variety of factors, including clogged or corroded pipes, leaks, or problems with the municipal water supply. It can also be caused by a malfunctioning pressure regulator or a faulty water pump.

3. How can I test the water pressure in my home?

You can test the water pressure in your home by using a water pressure gauge, which can be purchased at most hardware stores. Simply attach the gauge to an outside faucet and turn on the water. The gauge will display the water pressure in pounds per square inch (PSI).

4. How can I increase water pressure in my home?

If you are experiencing low water pressure, there are a few steps you can take to increase it. First, check for any leaks or clogs in your pipes and address them accordingly. You can also adjust the pressure regulator or replace it if necessary. Another option is to install a water pressure booster pump.

5. Is high water pressure a problem?

While high water pressure may seem like a good thing, it can actually cause damage to pipes, appliances, and fixtures in your home. It can also lead to higher water bills. It is important to maintain a safe and optimal water pressure between 40-80 PSI.