Question on Cosmology Solution for Tired Light Hypothesis

In summary, the conversation is about the value of k in the linear redshift relation (z ≈ kr) derived from a cosmology problem. The value of k is consistent with the accepted value of the Hubble constant, which is important in measuring distances and ages in the universe. There is nothing ridiculous about this value and it is a useful equation in cosmology.
TRB8985
Homework Statement
A hypothesis once used to explain the Hubble relation is the "tired light hypothesis". The tired light hypothesis states that the universe is not expanding, but that photons simply lose energy as they move through space (by some unexplained means), with the energy loss per unit distance being given by the law below.

Show that this hypothesis gives a distance relation that is linear in the limit of z << 1 (where k is a constant). What must the value of k be in order to yield a Hubble constant of 68 (km/s)/Mpc?
Relevant Equations
dE/dr = -kE
Good evening, I have a question on a cosmology problem I have solved from Barbara Ryden’s Introduction to Cosmology 2nd Edition. I believe I have answered the question correctly, resulting in the following linear redshift relation when using separation by variables and some algebra manipulation:

z ≈ kr

Which is just the Hubble law, with k having the following value:

k ≈ 2.3E-4 Mpc^-1

Here’s my question: Is there something in particular about this value that is ridiculous and warrants dismissing the hypothesis? I know that photons don't lose energy as they traverse through the universe, so perhaps the absurdity lie in the value of redshift a photon attains every Mpc? I'm not entirely sure.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question, and I appreciate any insights you might have.

Physics news on Phys.org
The value of k that you have derived is consistent with the accepted value of the Hubble constant, which is approximately 2.3 x 10^-18 s^-1. This is the rate of expansion of the universe, and it is not at all ridiculous. In fact, this value is one of the most important constants in cosmology and is used to measure distances and ages in the universe. What you have done is correctly derived the linear redshift relation, which relates the recessional velocity of an object to its distance from us (z ≈ kr). This is a very useful equation in cosmology and is used to calculate distances and ages of galaxies and other objects in the universe. So, there is nothing ridiculous about the value you have derived and it is consistent with the accepted value of the Hubble constant.

1. What is the Tired Light Hypothesis?

The Tired Light Hypothesis is a cosmological theory that suggests that the redshift of light from distant galaxies is not caused by the expansion of the universe, but rather by the gradual loss of energy of light as it travels through space.

2. How does the Tired Light Hypothesis differ from the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory proposes that the redshift of light is caused by the expansion of the universe, while the Tired Light Hypothesis suggests that the redshift is due to the light losing energy as it travels through space. Additionally, the Big Bang Theory is supported by a large body of evidence, while the Tired Light Hypothesis has not been widely accepted by the scientific community.

3. What evidence supports the Tired Light Hypothesis?

The main evidence for the Tired Light Hypothesis is the observation of a non-linear relationship between the redshift of light and distance. This suggests that the redshift is not solely caused by the expansion of the universe, but rather by some other factor, such as the gradual loss of energy of light.

4. What are the criticisms of the Tired Light Hypothesis?

One of the main criticisms of the Tired Light Hypothesis is that it does not fully explain all of the observations of the universe, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the abundance of light elements. Additionally, there is no known mechanism that could cause light to lose energy as it travels through space, making the hypothesis difficult to test and support.

5. Is the Tired Light Hypothesis widely accepted by the scientific community?

No, the Tired Light Hypothesis is not widely accepted by the scientific community. While it has been proposed as an alternative to the Big Bang Theory, the majority of evidence and research supports the Big Bang Theory. The Tired Light Hypothesis is considered a fringe theory and is not currently supported by mainstream science.