Question on Equivalent/Hydraulic Diameter

• Thread starter ganondorf29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diameter
In summary, the problem involves calculating the equivalent/hydraulic diameter using a closed rectangle perimeter and a cross-sectional flow area. The equation used is D_h = 4*A_x-section/P_wetted and the solution is calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area by 3 and the perimeter by 3, then plugging those values into the equation. The resulting value is 0.01714 m. The correctness of this solution is confirmed by the conversation partner.
ganondorf29

Homework Statement

Hello, I have a question on how to calculate the equivalent/hydraulic diameter for a problem that I'm doing.

The problem states that I should use the cross-sectional flow area shown with an equivalent diameter based upon a closed rectangle (entire perimeter)

[PLAIN]http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3968/finsm.jpg

Homework Equations

D_h = 4*A_x-section/P_wetted

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did:

A_xsection = 6cm * 1cm = 6cm^2
Since there are three slits, I multiplied that by 3 to get: 18cm^2

The perimeter was 6+6+1+1 = 14cm
I also multiplied this by 3 to get: 42cm

D_h = 4*(18cm^2)/42cm = 1.714 cm = 0.01714 m

Is this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me.

What is the equivalent/hydraulic diameter?

The equivalent/hydraulic diameter is a measure used to compare the cross-sectional size of a non-circular channel or pipe to that of a circular one. It is defined as four times the ratio of the cross-sectional area to the wetted perimeter.

How is the equivalent/hydraulic diameter calculated?

The equivalent/hydraulic diameter is calculated by multiplying the non-circular cross-sectional area by 4 and then dividing by the wetted perimeter.

What is the importance of equivalent/hydraulic diameter in fluid mechanics?

The equivalent/hydraulic diameter is important in fluid mechanics because it allows for easy comparison between non-circular and circular channels or pipes. It is also used in various equations and calculations, such as the Reynolds number, which is used to determine the type of fluid flow.

What are some common shapes that have an equivalent/hydraulic diameter?

Some common shapes that have an equivalent/hydraulic diameter include rectangular, triangular, and elliptical channels or pipes. It can also be used for annular or concentric pipes.

Can the equivalent/hydraulic diameter be used for all non-circular shapes?

No, the equivalent/hydraulic diameter is not applicable to all non-circular shapes. It is only applicable for shapes with a constant cross-sectional area and a smooth boundary. Irregular shapes or those with varying cross-sectional areas would require a different method of calculation.