1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Psi question about a hydraulic cylinder

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hydraulic log splitter with a maximum operating pressure of 3000 psi is powered by a 5 hp hydraulic engine. If the log splitter is capable of generating a maximum nominal force of 10 tons (20000 lb) what is the effective diameter of the hydraulic cylinder? What is the maximum velocity of the cylinder when the opposing force is 10 tons?
    2. Relevant equations
    F=(p*pi*d^2)/4
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdo...1DD4503?doi=10.1.1.269.7079&rep=rep1&type=pdf

3. The attempt at a solution

Part 1)

Using equation above,
    20000LB=(3000 psi * pi * d^2 )/4
    d=2.91 inches

Part 2)
    Not sure how to calculate speed. I tried calculating...
    2.91 inches to meter = 0.0739 m

pi * 0.0739^2/4= 0.00429 m/s

I'm using the website above as a source and I don't see any formulas for speed. I tried calculating it but I can't get the right answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

The equation used in the example on the second to last page (Power = Force * Velocity) is what you need.
    You have two of the variables so you can solve for velocity. As always, make sure your units are consistent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted