Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on general principle of relativity

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    I want to ask about the two statements.
    1) Physics laws remain unchange at any Gauss' coordinates.
    2) Physical laws are the same in all reference frames -- inertial or non-inertial.

Why is 1st statement better than the second statement in representing the general principle of relativity?

What's the importance of including the Gauss; coordinates?

I know this may be simple question but i am really struggling about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Ronald_Ku! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Well, I think the 2nd statement is better …

Gaussian coordinates (synchronous coordinates) aren't covariant.

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinate_conditions#Synchronous_coordinates)

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3
    The first one is a bit more mathematical and the second one is a bit more intuitive or physical.

Do you have a reason to think the first statement is "better" than the second?

5. Feb 12, 2009 #4
    Well, I found the 1st statement better from the book " Relativity: The Special and the General Theory".

6. Feb 12, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Einstein's book?

ah … you mean Einstein's book?

Einstein wrote the book a long time ago, when "Gaussian coordinates" had a different meaning.

Then, they meant any curvilinear coordinates, now they mean synchronous coordinates.

I assumed you meant synchronous coordinates.

If they mean any coordinates, I don't see much difference between the statements, except that, as altonhare :smile: says, the first is slightly more mathematically expressed.

Are you using Lawson's English translation in the 2002 http://books.google.com/books?id=f_...lativity:+The+Special+and+the+General+Theory"? If so, which page is it on?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Feb 12, 2009 #6
    No I'm a chinese. I'm using the edition translated to chinese.
    I just translate all the words I read to english.
    Besides I still don't see what you mean.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook