Proving Topological Space L is Locally Homeomorphic to R but not Hausdorff

• Thread starter AiRAVATA
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that L is a topological space that is locally homeomorphic to R but is not Hausdorff. The definition of Hausdorff is clarified, and the conversation discusses finding two open sets containing distinct points that have a non-empty intersection. The concept of locally homeomorphic is also discussed, and the conversation explores the use of a projection function as a homeomorphism.
AiRAVATA
Hello guys. I need to prove the following:

Let [itex]X=(\mathbb{R}\times \{0\})\cup(\mathbb{R}\times\{1\})[/itex] and [itex](x,0)\sim (x,1)[/itex] when [itex]x \neq 0[/itex]. Prove that [itex]L:=X/\sim[/itex] is a topological space locally homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], but is not Hausdorff.

In order to prove that [itex]L[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], all I need to do is show a continuous function [itex]f:L\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]f[/itex] is invertible and [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is also continuous, right?

I am new at this, so I am a bit confused on the Hausdorff part. A topological space is not Hausdorff if there is a pair of distinct points [itex]x,\,y[/itex] such that there are open sets [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] so that [itex]x\in U[/itex] and [itex]y\in V[/itex], but [itex]U\cap V \neq \emptyset[/itex], right?

If what I stated above is true, then I need to find two open sets, one containing the point [itex](0,0)[/itex] and the other containing [itex](0,1)[/itex], such that their intersection is not empty? Will that be sufficient?

Thx for the help and sorry for my english.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AiRAVATA said:
In order to prove that [itex]L[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], all I need to do is show a continuous function [itex]f:L\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]f[/itex] is invertible and [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is also continuous, right?
You don't need to prove L homeomorphic to R, indeed you can't. You need to prove that it is locally homeomorphic to R. What is the definition of "locally homeomorphic"?
I am new at this, so I am a bit confused on the Hausdorff part. A topological space is not Hausdorff if there is a pair of distinct points [itex]x,\,y[/itex] such that there are open sets [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] so that [itex]x\in U[/itex] and [itex]y\in V[/itex], but [itex]U\cap V \neq \emptyset[/itex], right?
No, and the underlined part is wrong. You need to find distinct points x and y such that for every pair of open sets U and V containing x and y respectively, U and V have non-empty intersection.

Sorry for the late reply AKG... thanks anyway for the help...

On the Hausdorff part, I think I got it.

Any point in the upper line is related to any point in the lower line, except the origins. So, every open neigborhood of [itex](0,1)[/itex] will intersect with an open neighborhood containing the point [itex](0,0)[/itex]. Is this correct?

On the locally homeomorphic part... If I topologize my space with a basis of open subsets [itex]V \subset X[/itex] consisting of the following:

If [itex](0,1) \notin V[/itex], then [itex]V[/itex] is open as a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}\times\{0\}[/itex].
If [itex](0,1) \in V[/itex], then there is an open neighborhood [itex]W \subset (\mathbb{R}\times\{0\})[/itex] of [itex](0,0)[/itex] such that [itex]V=(W-\{(0,0)\})\cup\{(0,1)\}[/itex].

Then, for every point [itex]p\in X[/itex], there is an open neighborhood [itex]N \subseteq V[/itex], such that there exist a homeomorphism [itex]f:N\longrightarrow U \subset \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Such homeomorphism could be the projection function?

What dou you think? Is this correct?

Last edited:
What is the topology for L? You can't say a space is Hausdorff unless you know its topology. How do you know that {(0,0)} isn't an open set? It isn't, don't worry, but how do you know?

What is the definition of locally homeomorphic? Prior to this, I myself had never even seen anyone talk about a local homeomorphism. I just looked it up in my textbook, and if you're using the same definition as my book's, then whatever it is you're doing doesn't show local homeomorphism.

Last edited:

1. What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a continuous and bijective function between two topological spaces that has a continuous inverse function. In simpler terms, it is a mapping that preserves the shape and structure of an object or space.

2. How is a homeomorphism different from an isomorphism?

While both homeomorphisms and isomorphisms are types of mathematical mappings, they differ in their definition of "sameness". Isomorphisms preserve the algebraic structure of an object, while homeomorphisms preserve the topological structure. This means that isomorphic objects are essentially the same, while homeomorphic objects may have different properties but are still considered equivalent.

3. What are some real-life examples of homeomorphisms?

Homeomorphisms can be found in various areas of science and mathematics. Some common examples include stretching a rubber band, folding a piece of paper, and turning a sphere inside out. These actions preserve the shape and structure of the object, making them homeomorphic transformations.

4. How are homeomorphisms used in topology?

Homeomorphisms are a fundamental concept in topology, which is the mathematical study of shapes and spaces. They are used to classify different types of topological spaces and to study their properties. Homeomorphisms also help to identify when two spaces are equivalent, even if they may appear different at first glance.

5. Can two homeomorphic spaces have different dimensions?

Yes, two spaces can be homeomorphic even if they have different dimensions. For example, a circle and a square are homeomorphic, even though one is 2-dimensional and the other is 1-dimensional. This is because homeomorphisms preserve topological properties, not geometric ones like dimension.