Question on perturbation theory

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the poster is studying quantum mechanics and has some questions about Griffiths' derivation of nth order corrections in perturbation theory. They are looking for a deeper understanding of the mathematical ideas behind this theory, specifically the justification for the assertion that for each n there exists fixed ψnj and Enj 0≤j≤∞ such that (H°+λH')ψn,λ = En,λ. They also noticed a similarity between the technique used in perturbation theory and the continuity argument in Rouche's theorem, but are unsure if there is a connection between the two. The expert summarizer explains that the justification for perturbation theory involves mathematical proofs and analysis, and there is
Couchyam
Hey everyone,

I'm studying quantum mechanics from Griffiths (Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, 2nd edition), and I'm puzzling over his derivation of the nth order corrections to the energies and corresponding eigenstates for a perturbed Hamiltonian. The steps that are outlined in Griffiths are all very clear, but the derivation seems to dodge some of the deeper mathematical ideas, which could really give more insight into the physics of perturbation theory.

Firstly, if I am interpreting the text correctly, Griffiths starts off the non-degenerate case by asserting that for each n, there exists fixed ψnj and Enj 0≤j≤∞, such that for any λ in [0,1], (H°+λH')ψn,λ = En,λ, where
ψn,λ = Ʃ λjψnj, and
En,λ = Ʃ λjEnj

Although I can intuitively see how this could be true, I am not sure how to make the justification precise.
Also, I noticed that the technique for moving eigenstates from the non-perturbed Hamiltonian to the full Hamiltonian looks a lot like the continuity argument when proving Rouche's theorem (when you "perturb" a holomorphic function f by some holomorphic function g [with norm(g) less than norm(f) on a circle whose interior is contained in the open set on which f is holomorphic], the number of zeros of f inside the circle is equal to the number of zeros of f+g inside the same circle). Is the justification for perturbation theory related to this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for sharing your thoughts on Griffiths' derivation of nth order corrections to the energies and eigenstates in perturbation theory. As a scientist studying quantum mechanics, I can understand your interest in gaining a deeper understanding of the mathematical ideas behind this theory.

To answer your first question, the assertion that for each n there exists fixed ψnj and Enj 0≤j≤∞ such that (H°+λH')ψn,λ = En,λ is a direct result of the perturbation theory. This statement is based on the assumption that the perturbed Hamiltonian can be written as a sum of the unperturbed Hamiltonian and a perturbation term, and that the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the unperturbed Hamiltonian are known. The justification for this can be found in the mathematical proofs of perturbation theory, which involve series expansions and the use of the Dyson series.

Regarding your observation about the similarity between the technique for moving eigenstates in perturbation theory and the continuity argument in Rouche's theorem, there is indeed a connection between the two. Both involve finding solutions to equations by perturbing the system in a controlled manner. However, the justification for perturbation theory goes beyond this and involves a more rigorous mathematical analysis.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts and provides some insight into the deeper mathematical ideas behind perturbation theory. Keep up the good work in your studies, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a method used in physics and mathematics to approximate solutions to equations that are difficult or impossible to solve exactly. It involves breaking down a complex problem into simpler parts and then using approximation techniques to solve for the solutions.

2. Why is perturbation theory important?

Perturbation theory is important because it allows us to approximate solutions to problems that would be difficult or impossible to solve using exact methods. It is also used in many areas of physics and mathematics, such as quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, and differential equations.

3. How does perturbation theory work?

Perturbation theory works by expanding the solution to a complex problem in terms of a series of simpler solutions. The first term in the series is the exact solution to the simpler problem, and each subsequent term adds a correction to account for the complexity of the original problem. By truncating the series at a certain point, we can obtain a good approximation to the solution without having to solve the original problem exactly.

4. What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

One of the main limitations of perturbation theory is that it relies on the assumption that the perturbation (or small change) to the system is small. If the perturbation is too large, the series will not converge and the approximation will not be accurate. Additionally, perturbation theory may not work well for highly nonlinear problems or problems with multiple interacting perturbations.

5. What are some real-world applications of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory has many real-world applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy levels of atoms and molecules, in celestial mechanics to study the motion of planets and satellites, and in fluid dynamics to analyze the behavior of fluids. It is also used in financial modeling, weather forecasting, and many other fields where complex systems can be approximated using simpler models.