Question on rotation of a thin rod.

In summary: Otherwise, the pen would not be released at the same time as your hand and would be flying off in a different direction.In summary, when you release a twirling pen, some of its kinetic energy is still in the form of rotational motion. This means the pen will continue to rotate at the same rotational speed it had while twirling.
RGClark
What velocity will a thin rod attain if you release it after twirling it around in a circle at high speed?
If you have a heavy bob attached to a light string rotating in a circle, then it will fly off with the speed it had in rotating when you release it.
However, if you have a rod rotating around at a fixed end, then release it, it will not fly off with the same velocity as the tip because it will continue to rotate at some speed because of angular momentum conservation.
So some of its energy will be in rotational motion and the rest in linear translational motion.
How do you calculate how much will be in linear translational energy, and so its linear velocity?

Bob Clark

Physics news on Phys.org
supposing you're in no-gravity space, the rod will continue to rotate in place endlessly once the constraint is removed. On the other hand, the bob will fly off

this is because the thin rod's centre of mass is at its center, and its center of mass's velocity is at all time zero when the constraint is there. It will remain zero once the constraint is removed and will continue to spin according to Newton's first law (or conservation of angular momentum).

but in the rotating bob system, the center of mass is in the center of the bob itself, and its velocity is tangeantial to the circle of rotation at all time while the constraint is on. when it is removed, the bob flys off in the tangeantial direction according to Newton's first law. (one can verify that angular momentum around the point of roration is also conserved)

quasar987 said:
supposing you're in no-gravity space, the rod will continue to rotate in place endlessly once the constraint is removed. On the other hand, the bob will fly off

this is because the thin rod's centre of mass is at its center, and its center of mass's velocity is at all time zero when the constraint is there. It will remain zero once the constraint is removed and will continue to spin according to Newton's first law (or conservation of angular momentum).

but in the rotating bob system, the center of mass is in the center of the bob itself, and its velocity is tangeantial to the circle of rotation at all time while the constraint is on. when it is removed, the bob flys off in the tangeantial direction according to Newton's first law. (one can verify that angular momentum around the point of roration is also conserved)

I didn't make clear one end of the rod is fixed during the rotation. The rotation during this time is not around the center.

Bob Clark

oh ok. then the rod would go like this: this is the moment that the rod is removed from its pivot point 'O':

O
|
|
|

and this is the rod a moment later:

O
...|
...|
...|

each particle in the rod behaves like the bob in the "rotating bob-system"

quasar987 said:
oh ok. then the rod would go like this: this is the moment that the rod is removed from its pivot point 'O':

O
|
|
|

and this is the rod a moment later:

O
...|
...|
...|

each particle in the rod behaves like the bob in the "rotating bob-system"

I thought that too. But I did an experiment where I tied a string around the end of an ink pen and twirled it around. When I let it go, it continued to rotate.
This means some of the kinetic energy must still be in the form of rotational motion.
So not all the energy is transformed into linear translational motion.

- Bob Clark

cool, I will have to try.

RGClark said:
I thought that too. But I did an experiment where I tied a string around the end of an ink pen and twirled it around. When I let it go, it continued to rotate.
This means some of the kinetic energy must still be in the form of rotational motion.
The twirling pen is rotating about its center as well as translating (revolving) in a circle. When released, its center of mass will continue in a straight line (ignoring gravity) and the pen will continue to rotate about its center of mass at the same rotational speed it had while twirling.

Note that the twirling pen must make a complete rotation about its center in the same time that it makes a complete revolution about your hand.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or point. This type of motion is different from linear motion, which is movement in a straight line.

2. How is rotation measured?

Rotation is measured in terms of angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration. Angular displacement is the change in angle of an object, while angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement. Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity.

3. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass relative to the axis of rotation. The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion.

4. How does a thin rod rotate?

A thin rod rotates around its center of mass, which is the point at which all of the rod's mass can be considered to be concentrated. When a force is applied to one end of the rod, the center of mass remains stationary while the rest of the rod rotates around it.

5. What is the relationship between torque and rotational motion?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate. It is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance from the axis of rotation. The greater the torque, the greater the rotational acceleration of an object.