Question on Spherical Bessel's equation.

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spherical
In summary, the spherical Bessel equation is a differential equation used to describe the behavior of wave functions at different radii. The solution for the equation is j_n(\lambda_{n,j}r), where the order of the Bessel function is p=n+\frac{1}{2} and the parameter \lambda is equivalent to \frac{\alpha_{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{a}. Additionally, the full solution would also include the angular part represented by spherical harmonics.
yungman
Spherical Bessel equation:

[tex]r^2R''+2rR' + [kr^2-n(n+1)]R = 0 \;\hbox { where }\; k=\lambda^2 [/tex]

Boundary condition: [itex]R(a)=0[/itex]

Solution :

[tex]j_n(\lambda_{n,j},r) \;\hbox { where }\; \lambda = \lambda_{n,j}= \frac{\alpha_{n+\frac{1}{2},j}}{a}[/tex]

[tex] j_n(x)=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2x}}J_{n+\frac{1}{2}}(x) [/tex]

I want to find [itex] j_n(\lambda_{n,j}r)[/itex]

This is what I have:

[tex] j_n(\lambda_{n,j}r)=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2\lambda_{n,j}r}} \; J_{n+\frac{1}{2}}(\lambda_{n,j}r) = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{ 2 \frac{\alpha_{(n+\frac{1}{2},j)}}{a}r}} \;\; J_{n+\frac{1}{2}}(\frac{\alpha_{(n+\frac{1}{2},j)}}{a}r) [/tex]

I think I am correct actually the confusion is the order of the Bessel function:

[tex] p=n+\frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow\; \lambda_p = \lambda_n = \frac{\alpha_{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{a}[/tex]

Can anyone verify this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to offer my input on this forum post. Based on my knowledge of the spherical Bessel equation, I can say that your solution for j_n(\lambda_{n,j}r) is correct. The order of the Bessel function is indeed p=n+\frac{1}{2}, which means that the parameter \lambda_p is equivalent to \lambda_n. Additionally, the boundary condition R(a)=0 leads to the constraint that \lambda=\lambda_n=\frac{\alpha_{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{a}.

I would also like to mention that the solution you provided, j_n(\lambda_{n,j}r), is the radial solution for the spherical Bessel equation. This means that it represents the behavior of the wave function at different radii r. The full solution for the equation would also include the angular part, which is represented by the spherical harmonics Y_{n}^{m}(\theta, \phi).

Overall, I believe your solution is accurate and well thought out. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Spherical Bessel's equation?

The Spherical Bessel's equation is a type of differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in spherical coordinates. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model phenomena such as electromagnetic radiation and sound waves.

2. What are the applications of Spherical Bessel's equation?

Spherical Bessel's equation has many applications in different fields of science and engineering. Some examples include modeling the behavior of electromagnetic waves in spherical cavities, analyzing the scattering of light by spherical particles, and studying the vibrations of spherical objects.

3. What are the solutions to Spherical Bessel's equation?

The solutions to Spherical Bessel's equation are known as Bessel functions or Spherical Bessel functions. These functions have certain properties that make them useful for solving problems involving spherical coordinates and waves.

4. How is Spherical Bessel's equation different from the regular Bessel's equation?

Spherical Bessel's equation is a special case of the regular Bessel's equation, where the independent variable is in spherical coordinates rather than in Cartesian coordinates. This results in a slightly different form of the equation and different solutions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Spherical Bessel's equation?

Yes, Spherical Bessel's equation has many real-world applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics. For example, it is used in the design of acoustic resonators, in the analysis of diffraction patterns, and in modeling the behavior of electromagnetic waves in spherical antennas.