Question on test-standard deviation

• Thread starter rudyx61
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deviation
In summary, the question is about finding the standard deviation of the number of no-shows for a flight with 42 reservations and a 16% no-show rate. The correct answer is calculated using the Binomial Distribution formula and is represented by multiple choice option "c".
rudyx61
Question on test---standard deviation

Was hoping someone could help me out with a question. It was on a online test and the answer i got i wasnt sure if it was the right answer.

The question was as follows:

The no-show rate for passengers with reservations on a flight run by wizair is 16%. The next flight has 42 reservations.

Find the standard deviation of the number of no-shows for this flight.

Answers:

A-5.940
B-5645
C-2.376
D-2.592
E-35.28
F-6.72
G-4.218
H-3.124

what i did was calculate the mean number of no-shows for the flight

(16%)*42=6.72

and to calculate the standard deviation for number no-shows on that flight i took the square root of the mean number of no-shows for the flight

sqrt(6.72)=2.592

so what I've done is it correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

No rudyx16, that would be wrong because the stdev is the sqrt of the variance, not the sqrt of the mean as you have done.

Interestingly the mean and the variance are numerically quite similar in this problem, so numerically your answer is close but still wrong.

This is a case of a Binomial Distribution, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution , which has a mean = n p and variance = n p q.

Here n is the number of passengers (42), p is the probability of "no show" (0.16) and q is the complementary probability (0.84).

So the correct answer is sqrt(42 * 0.16 * 0.84) which corresponds to multiple choice "c".

hmm, i nearly got away with the wrong answers. thanks for the help

1. What is the formula for calculating standard deviation?

The formula for standard deviation is the square root of the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean, divided by the total number of data points.

2. How is standard deviation used in data analysis?

Standard deviation is used to measure the spread or variability of a set of data. It gives an indication of how much the data points deviate from the mean.

3. What is considered a high or low standard deviation?

A high standard deviation indicates a large amount of variability in the data, while a low standard deviation indicates a small amount of variability. The specific values that are considered high or low depend on the context and the data being analyzed.

4. How is standard deviation different from variance?

Standard deviation is the square root of variance. While both measures indicate the spread of data, standard deviation is preferred as it is in the same units as the original data and is easier to interpret.

5. What are the limitations of using standard deviation?

Standard deviation assumes that the data follows a normal distribution, which may not always be the case. It also does not provide information about the shape of the distribution or the presence of outliers. Additionally, it can be heavily influenced by extreme values in the data.