The no-show rate for passengers with reservations on a flight

In summary, The question was to find the probability of there being 4 or more no-shows on a flight with 42 reservations and a 16% no-show rate. This can be calculated using a binomial distribution with n=42 and p=0.16, or by adding up the first four terms of the sum for the cumulative distribution function. The use of a normal distribution may also be a good approximation in this case due to the Central Limit Theorem.
rudyx61
Was hoping someone could help me out with a question. It was on a online test and wasnt sure how to do it.

The question was as follows:

The no-show rate for passengers with reservations on a flight run by wizair is 16%. The next flight has 42 reservations.

Find the probability of there being 4 or more no-shows on this flight

Mathematics news on Phys.org

You need to consider a binomial distribution with n=42 and p=0.16. The cumulative distribution up to 3 is the probability of there being less than four no-shows: Reaching for Mathematica to put a number to it:
dist = BinomialDistribution[42, 0.16]
1 - CDF[dist, 3]
(0.921048, quite likely)

ok but how would i do that on paper, say its a written test with no access to mathematica

add up the four first terms of the sum for the CDF: (n choose k)*p^k*q^(n-k) for k=0,1,2,3.

yeah i get it now, thanks

By the way, SEngstrom is assuming, probably correctly, that saying "The no-show rate for passengers with reservations on a flight run by wizair is 16%" means that anyone passenger has a .16 probability of not showing up- so the probability distribution is a binomial distribution with mean .16.

I would have been inclined to interpret it as meaning that the mean value of the number of passenger who do show up is .16 but that leaves the distribution itself unknown. I might then have been inclined to use a normal distribution but, of course, for reasonably large number of people (such as 42) that well approximates the binomial distribution.

In fact, my reason for choosing the normal distribution (and the reason it is so common) is that, by the "Central Limit Theorem", in a case like this, the binomial distribution is a good approximation to just about every distribution!

1. What is the average no-show rate for passengers with reservations on a flight?

The average no-show rate for passengers with reservations on a flight varies depending on the airline and specific flight. However, studies have shown that on average, the no-show rate can range from 5-10% for domestic flights and 10-20% for international flights.

2. What are the main reasons for passengers not showing up for their flights?

The main reasons for passengers not showing up for their flights include personal emergencies, schedule changes, and forgetfulness. Some passengers may also intentionally miss their flight and opt for a refund or rescheduling due to changes in their travel plans.

3. How does the no-show rate affect airlines and other passengers?

The no-show rate can have a significant impact on both airlines and other passengers. Airlines lose revenue from empty seats and may have to reschedule flights or make other arrangements for passengers who missed their flight. Other passengers may also experience delays or inconvenience due to the need for the airline to reassign seats or make other changes.

4. Is there a way to reduce the no-show rate for passengers with reservations?

There are several strategies that airlines can use to reduce the no-show rate for passengers with reservations. These include overbooking, implementing penalties for no-shows, and offering incentives for passengers to show up for their flights. Airlines can also improve communication and reminders to passengers about their upcoming flights.

5. Are there any benefits to airlines for having a higher no-show rate?

While a higher no-show rate may result in lost revenue for airlines, it can also have some benefits. For example, a higher no-show rate can allow airlines to overbook flights, which can lead to increased profits. Additionally, a higher no-show rate can also help airlines manage capacity and avoid having to make last-minute changes to accommodate passengers who miss their flights.