Question regarding homeostasis in Daphnia

• Thread starter chris097
  • Start date
In summary, the experiment involved adding a single grain of yeast to a water drop with a Daphnia, which resulted in the Daphnia moving closer to the food source and burrowing inside the granule. This can be seen as a representation of homeostasis as the Daphnia remains in its stable and optimal feeding position. It does not seem to fit into a negative or positive feedback loop, as the change is not regulated internally.
chris097
I recently did a lab where i added a single grain of yeast to a water drop with a Daphnia. I was wondering how this experiment represents homeostasis. All i noticed was the Daphnia moved closer to the food source and pretty much burrowed inside of the granule.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think its because the daphnia won't have to move for food, so its stable and in its "best?" area.

i don't really know how to explain it...but i know what it means...i don't know try to glean what you can off of my crappy explanation. :P

So its response to the change in the environment is that it moves closer to the food source because this is the ideal position for it to feed. Also is this a negative or positive feedback loop. I don't think that really applies here because the change is not regulated internally.

yep, and think that feedback loops don't apply in this condition, because a negative feedback loop would apply somewhere like your stomach for protein digestion, pepsin, pepsinogen and all the like :P

1. What is homeostasis?

Homeostasis is the process by which living organisms maintain a stable internal environment, despite changes in the external environment. It involves various physiological processes that work together to keep the body's internal conditions within a narrow range.

2. How does homeostasis work in Daphnia?

Daphnia, also known as water fleas, have a complex nervous system that helps them maintain homeostasis. They have special structures called statocysts, which act as balance organs and help them detect changes in their body position. They also have a heart that pumps blood and nutrients throughout their body, and specialized cells that regulate their body temperature and pH levels.

3. What factors can disrupt homeostasis in Daphnia?

Homeostasis in Daphnia can be disrupted by changes in temperature, pH levels, and oxygen levels in their environment. In addition, exposure to pollutants and chemicals can also affect their internal balance and lead to health issues.

4. How do Daphnia adapt to maintain homeostasis in extreme environments?

Daphnia have the ability to adapt to extreme environments and maintain homeostasis through various mechanisms. For example, they can change their body shape and behavior to conserve energy and adjust their metabolism to cope with extreme temperatures. They can also produce protective substances to combat changes in pH levels and toxic substances in their environment.

5. What are the consequences of a disrupted homeostasis in Daphnia?

A disrupted homeostasis in Daphnia can lead to various negative consequences, such as reduced growth and reproduction, increased susceptibility to diseases, and even death. It can also affect their behavior and ability to respond to their environment, making them more vulnerable to predators and other threats.