Question regarding the qualitative difference between General Relativi

In summary, the difference between General Relativity and classical Newtonian gravity is that General Relativity takes into account the effects of gravity on space-time geometry, while classical Newtonian gravity does not. If one removes the gravitational energy from the theory of General Relativity, it reduces to Newtonian theory.
Herbascious J
I have a question regarding the qualitative difference between General Relativity and classical Newtonian gravity. I understand this difference in theory (warped space-time as opposed to a force operating in flat space). However, I read an article (taken with a grain of salt) which claimed that the fundamental difference, quantitatively, between the two theories rested on the idea, proposed by Einstein, that the energy of gravity, created a gravitational effect in and of itself. In GR because gravity itself creates gravity it has a mild compounding effect, however very slight. The article I read claimed that if this one attribute of the theory (gravitational energy having an additional gravitational effect) was removed the theory of GR, it would reduce perfectly to Newton, from a quantitative point of view. Meaning, each theory predicted identical results. The article claimed without this subtle effect in GR, the orbits of Mercury, etc. would be indistinguishable from Newtonian predictions. Does anyone know if this is true? I am sorry I don't have a reference to the article. Thank you for the any input.

-Slightly Confused

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Herbascious J said:
The article I read claimed that if this one attribute of the theory (gravitational energy having an additional gravitational effect) was removed the theory of GR would reduce perfectly to Newton, from a quantitative point of view. Meaning, each theory predicted identical results.
No, the theories are different in more ways than one. Qualitatively as well as quantitatively. Newtonian gravity, for example, does not know about Special Relativity. That is, it does not know that c is a limiting velocity and therefore does not correctly predict the interaction between objects moving at relativistic speeds.

Also it fails to predict the existence of gravitational waves.

Hi Bill,
Thank you for the prompt response! So, just for my understanding, then the orbit of mercury is different from classical gravity for more reasons than the one described above? Trying to work it out in my head. Thanks!

Herbascious J said:
I have a question regarding the qualitative difference between General Relativity and classical Newtonian gravity. I understand this difference in theory (warped space-time as opposed to a force operating in flat space).

This is not really the difference between the two. You can formulate Newtonian gravity using the notion of gravity as a manifestation of space-time geometry and curvature as well and the distinction you pointed out is completely dissolved.

Herbascious J said:
Does anyone know if this is true? I am sorry I don't have a reference to the article. Thank you for the any input.

-Slightly Confused

It's hard to judge anything without a proper article reference because people don't paraphrase articles properly due to their own misconceptions when reading; direct quotes are always better in this context. Regardless, what was stated is most definitely not the full story behind the difference between GR and Newtonian gravity. For one thing, in Newtonian gravity the matter field in the field equations is just the mass density (scalar field) whereas in GR it is the energy-momentum tensor (2-tensor field) and even in the regime of linearized gravity this leads to physical effects predicted by GR that are absent from Newtonian gravity such as frame dragging; furthermore, GR is a relativistic field theory whereas Newtonian gravity is not and again in the linearized regime one can derive a wave equation from the Einstein equation hence predicting gravitational waves, something that is absent from Newtonian gravity.

I see, thank you! Much better, I think the article was not a proper representation of GR. Cheers!

1. What is the qualitative difference between General Relativity and other theories of gravity?

The main qualitative difference between General Relativity and other theories of gravity is that General Relativity is a theory of gravity that is based on the concept of curved space-time, whereas other theories of gravity, such as Newton's theory of gravity, are based on the concept of a gravitational force acting between objects. This means that General Relativity provides a more comprehensive explanation of gravity, as it takes into account the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects.

2. How does General Relativity explain the bending of light by massive objects?

According to General Relativity, massive objects, such as stars and galaxies, create a curvature in space-time. When light travels through this curved space-time, its path is bent, as it follows the curvature. This is known as gravitational lensing and it is a phenomenon that has been observed and confirmed through various experiments and observations.

3. Can General Relativity explain the behavior of objects in the presence of extremely strong gravitational fields?

Yes, General Relativity has been able to successfully explain the behavior of objects in the presence of extremely strong gravitational fields, such as those near black holes. According to General Relativity, the strong gravitational field of a black hole causes a significant curvature in space-time, which can result in extreme phenomena such as time dilation and the stretching of objects.

4. How does General Relativity relate to the theory of special relativity?

General Relativity and the theory of special relativity are closely related, as they both form a part of Einstein's theory of relativity. While the theory of special relativity deals with the behavior of objects in uniform motion, General Relativity extends this concept to include the effects of gravity and acceleration on space and time.

5. Are there any experiments that have confirmed the predictions of General Relativity?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments and observations that have confirmed the predictions of General Relativity. Some notable examples include the bending of starlight during a solar eclipse, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the detection of gravitational waves by the LIGO and Virgo collaborations.