Questioning my major and the choices ive made

• Programs
  • Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choices Major
In summary, the speaker chose to study physics because they wanted to learn something new and pursue a career in research. However, they faced personal challenges during their fourth year of studies, causing their grades to suffer. They are now worried about their ability to continue their studies and pursue a career in physics. Despite these challenges, it is important to remember that there are still many opportunities to use their knowledge of physics in various industries and build a successful career.
stunner5000pt
I chose physics primarily because i wanted to learn something new and i wanted to research and hopefully find something new. I chose it because it was unique and i had done fairly well in high school to warrant a career in physics.

This year that passed was my 4th... but really my third year. In the first semester i was doing fairly well until disaster struck - in a single week i lost my job, my driver's license and a good friend. I literally gave up all hope. I didnt hand in assignments, didnt study for test, didnt hand in my labs. I failed to get reasonable marks in relatively easy courses like stat mech, the lab course... ididnt fail them, however a D is nothing to celebrate. And that's that.

I m on the brink of being kicked out of the honours program (in my school we need to maintian at least a C+ average to stay in the 4 year honours program)

I plan to repeat nearly every course that i messed up myself because of my stupidity. The trouble is that the courses will appear as taken twice on my transcript.

I also had a course in modern physics last semester which was also a disaster... no matter how much i studied and understood the material i could not 'cut it' for hte tests.

I believe that you can do anything you put your mind to... but i guess taht philosophy is wrong... if others are able to ace a course and I am not able then I am juist not good enough. I think that marks are very importatn because after all i want to be a physicist i want to do research but grad schools need good marks and my marks are sub par. Repeating the course will get the marks back up but in grad school what if i just can't do it? What if i drop out? What is left for me to do? I don't want to end up doing a job that's not in physics. But i also have to get out of my parents house. If i get a job then i can't continue studying the way i am. I am afraid of graduating because even a company will okk at my marks and realize that i m not good enough... I am not dedicated to studying...

i don't want to waste this time i have taken studying physics i want to do something with it... but what if I am not good enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
What if I am not capable of doing anything with this degree? I think it's important to keep in mind that even if you encounter some difficulty in your studies, there are still many different paths to success. It is possible to use your knowledge of physics for a career outside of academia. There are plenty of opportunities to work as a consultant, a software engineer, or a technical writer, for example. Additionally, many employers value skills like problem solving, critical thinking, and the ability to learn quickly, all of which are honed through studying physics. Even if you don't achieve your initial goal of pursuing a career in academic research, you can still use your knowledge of physics to build a rewarding career.

First of all, I want to acknowledge the difficulties and challenges you have faced this past year. Losing a job, a driver's license, and a friend all in one week is a lot to deal with, and it's understandable that it affected your academic performance. It takes a lot of courage to admit to making mistakes and taking responsibility for them, and I commend you for recognizing where you went wrong and wanting to make things right.

I also want to say that it's completely normal to question your choice of major and the path you have chosen. It's a big decision and it's natural to have doubts and uncertainties along the way. However, I want to remind you of the reasons you chose physics in the first place. You were drawn to it because you wanted to learn something new and potentially make new discoveries. That passion and curiosity are what will ultimately drive you to succeed in this field.

It's important to remember that one bad semester or year does not define your abilities or potential. It's okay to have setbacks, but it's important to learn from them and move forward. You mentioned that you believe you can do anything you put your mind to, and I want to assure you that this is still true. It may take some extra effort and hard work, but I have no doubt that you have the determination and drive to improve your grades and reach your academic goals.

As for your concerns about graduate school and job opportunities, I want to remind you that grades are not the only factor that determines success in these areas. Your passion, dedication, and research experience will also play a significant role. Additionally, there are many different paths within the field of physics, and you don't have to limit yourself to just one career option. You can also seek guidance from your professors and career advisors to explore different opportunities and find the best fit for you.

Lastly, I want to encourage you to not give up on your dreams and your passion for physics. It's clear that you have a strong desire to make something meaningful out of your studies, and I believe that with hard work and determination, you can achieve your goals. Remember, mistakes and setbacks are a part of the learning process, and they can ultimately make you a stronger and more resilient scientist. Keep pushing forward and don't be afraid to seek support and guidance along the way.

1. Why am I questioning my major and the choices I've made?

It is natural to question your major and choices as you progress through your academic journey. It could be due to a change in interests, uncertainty about career paths, or simply feeling overwhelmed by the demands of your major. It is important to take the time to reflect on your choices and make sure they align with your goals and passions.

2. Will changing my major affect my graduation timeline?

Changing your major may affect your graduation timeline, depending on how different the new major is from your current one. It is important to speak with your academic advisor and carefully plan out your course schedule to minimize any delays. Keep in mind that it is better to switch majors and graduate later with a degree you are passionate about, rather than graduating on time with a major you are not interested in.

3. What if I regret my major choice later on?

It is not uncommon to have regrets about your major choice later on. However, it is important to remember that your major does not define your entire career. Many successful individuals have switched careers multiple times before finding their true passion. Keep an open mind and continue to explore your interests and opportunities.

4. How can I make an informed decision about my major?

To make an informed decision about your major, it is important to do thorough research. Talk to students and professors in the major, attend career fairs and information sessions, and consider taking introductory courses in different majors. Additionally, think about your strengths, interests, and career goals to guide your decision.

5. Is it too late to change my major?

No, it is never too late to change your major. Some students switch majors multiple times before finding the right fit. It is important to remember that your academic journey is unique and it is never too late to pursue your passions. Speak with your academic advisor to discuss the steps needed to change your major and make a smooth transition.